Android Free Usenet
v***@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
2020-05-20 08:46:02 UTC
I have been using tin from a unix isp for ages.

How would I be able to at least view (not nec post) to usenet from android
for free? Not an excessive number of groups. But active ones.
But heavy filtering.

(eg comp.os.linux.misc sci.electronics.repair nyc.politics sci.math
sci.engr.biomed comp.unix.shell misc.invest.misc comp.mobile.android
alt.home.repair misc.consumers.frugal-living
alt.religion.christian.east-orthodox)

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com
Eli the Bearded
2020-05-20 17:15:19 UTC
Post by v***@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
I have been using tin from a unix isp for ages.
Yes, I use panix, too.
Post by v***@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
How would I be able to at least view (not nec post) to usenet from android
for free? Not an excessive number of groups. But active ones.
But heavy filtering.
Get termux, compile tin on it, connect to Eternal September?

I've compiled trn4 on termux and used it very briefly, but I find termux
-> ssh -> tmux -> trn4 to be a better set up for maintaining my read
state consistently.

Elijah
------
hasn't checked if tin is in the ports, might not need a compile
Tekkie®
2020-05-23 20:50:55 UTC
Post by v***@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
I have been using tin from a unix isp for ages.
How would I be able to at least view (not nec post) to usenet from android
for free? Not an excessive number of groups. But active ones.
But heavy filtering.
I used to do this. Use a newsreader that automatically
imports and then exports your NEWSRC file from - in your
case the cloud. I used to do on a flash drive.

I use Microplanet Gravity as my newsreader. It's old but I
really like it, it's free.
Tekkie
Dave Garrett
2020-05-25 22:04:55 UTC
Post by Tekkie®
Post by v***@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
I have been using tin from a unix isp for ages.
How would I be able to at least view (not nec post) to usenet from android
for free? Not an excessive number of groups. But active ones.
But heavy filtering.
I used to do this. Use a newsreader that automatically
imports and then exports your NEWSRC file from - in your
case the cloud. I used to do on a flash drive.
I use Microplanet Gravity as my newsreader. It's old but I
really like it, it's free.
I use Gravity and do this as well, except I export the entire Gravity
database, not just the NEWSRC file, to cloud-based storage after every
newsreading session.

I used to use good old rn when I first got onto Usenet, then later
switched to trn. When I lost the unix shell account I'd been using for
close to ten years, I wound up switching to Gravity on a Windows
platform. Heresy, I know.

None of this will probably help the OP, who was seeking an Adnroid-based
solution.
Dave
Rathbone
2020-05-23 21:51:28 UTC
Post by v***@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
I have been using tin from a unix isp for ages.
How would I be able to at least view (not nec post) to usenet from android
for free? Not an excessive number of groups. But active ones.
But heavy filtering.
[snip]

I just set up slrn to my liking on one machine, which I use as a
light-duty dedicated server, and ssh into it from all of my devices
(laptop, desktop, tablet and Android phone), along with a few other apps
like irssi and mutt using GNU screen.

JuiceSSH for Android is a really nice SSH client which "just works" and
has a lot of nice features.