good Windows proxyable newsgroups software
x***@gmail.com
2019-08-16 17:02:49 UTC
Hi I'm looking good Windows newsgroups software that allows proxy configuration.
any ideas ?
thank's
G. B
2019-08-16 17:10:45 UTC
Post by x***@gmail.com
Hi I'm looking good Windows newsgroups software that allows proxy configuration.
any ideas ?
thank's
Choose from this long list of one!!!!!!!!!

<https://www.thunderbird.net/>

You will find that newsgroups are almost dead
Grant Taylor
2019-08-16 18:57:00 UTC
Post by G. B
You will find that newsgroups are almost dead
Usenet newsgroups might not be as active as they once were. But they
are still plenty active.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
andrew
2019-08-16 22:30:01 UTC
Post by Grant Taylor
Usenet newsgroups might not be as active as they once were. But they
are still plenty active.
I am starting to consider dropping my subscription to individual.net
next time it comes up as Usenet declines. Sad to see such a great thing
slowly fade away.

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Grant Taylor
2019-08-17 03:41:54 UTC
Post by andrew
I am starting to consider dropping my subscription to individual.net
next time it comes up as Usenet declines. Sad to see such a great
thing slowly fade away.
That's your choice.

I find myself subscribing to and participating in more and more
newsgroups. Looking at my newsrc-<server name> file tells me that I'm
subscribed to 272 newsgroups. That's one of four different news servers
that I subscribe to.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
andrew
2019-08-18 01:21:46 UTC
Post by Grant Taylor
I find myself subscribing to and participating in more and more
newsgroups. Looking at my newsrc-<server name> file tells me that I'm
subscribed to 272 newsgroups. That's one of four different news
servers that I subscribe to.
Well, I have been wrong before :). I would be very interested to see a
list of reasonably active newsgroups if you were able to post even part
of your list in a pastebin somewhere?

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Grant Taylor
2019-08-18 03:51:36 UTC
Post by andrew
Well, I have been wrong before :). I would be very interested to see
a list of reasonably active newsgroups if you were able to post even
part of your list in a pastebin somewhere?
Here's 120 entries in my newsrc file. The #-# represents the number of
articles that my client has seen in the last 14 or so months worth of
history on my news server.

There are other newsgroups that are less active or haven't seen any at
least two digits worth of articles.

alt.bbs: 1-146
alt.bbs.allsysop: 1-27
alt.bbs.doors: 1-50
alt.bbs.general: 1-67
alt.bbs.wildcat: 1-50
alt.comp.editors.batch: 1-10
alt.comp.lang.pascal: 1-32
alt.comp.lang.shell.unix.bourne-bash: 1-22
alt.comp.networking.routers: 1-110
alt.comp.os.linux: 1-170
alt.free.newsservers: 1-1734
alt.internet.wireless: 1-482
alt.msdos.batch: 1-198
alt.msdos.batch.nt: 1-506
alt.msdos.batch.win9x-me: 1-10
alt.msdos.programmer: 1-75
alt.os.free-dos: 1-66
alt.os.linux: 1-10062
alt.os.linux.slackware: 1-2249
alt.os.linux.ubuntu: 1-6460
alt.os.multics: 1-32
alt.privacy: 1-968
alt.privacy.anon-server: 1-10054
alt.privacy.spyware: 1-330
alt.sources: 1-81
alt.sysadmin.recovery: 1-256
alt.sys.pdp10: 1-606
alt.sys.pdp11: 1-366
alt.sys.pdp8: 1-180
alt.test: 1-32374
alt.test.test: 1-732
bit.listserv.vse-l: 1-1491
comp.editors: 1-162
comp.graphics.algorithms: 1-48
comp.graphics.api.opengl: 1-23
comp.graphics.apps.gimp: 1-125
comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot: 1-443
comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro: 1-12
comp.graphics.apps.photoshop: 1-21
comp.graphics.misc: 1-10
comp.groupware.lotus-notes.admin: 1-151
comp.groupware.lotus-notes.apps: 1-10
comp.groupware.lotus-notes.misc: 1-20
comp.groupware.lotus-notes.programmer: 1-15
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html: 1-358
comp.infosystems.www.misc: 1-46
comp.lang.cobol: 1-944
comp.lang.perl.misc: 1-1131
comp.mail.eudora.mac: 1-68
comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows: 1-595
comp.mail.mime: 1-13
comp.mail.misc: 1-31
comp.os.linux.misc: 1-5957
comp.os.linux.networking: 1-341
comp.os.linux.security: 1-23
comp.os.msdos.misc: 1-449
comp.os.msdos.programmer: 1-448
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip: 1-14
comp.os.os2.advocacy: 1-216
comp.os.os2.announce: 1-217
comp.os.os2.apps: 1-39
comp.os.os2.marketplace: 1-37
comp.os.os2.misc: 1-260
comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip: 1-26
comp.os.os2.programmer.misc: 1-63
comp.risks: 1-85
comp.security.ssh: 1-142
comp.sys.3b1: 1-15
comp.sys.cbm: 1-887
comp.sys.dec: 1-177
comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc: 1-212
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc: 1-17
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage: 1-322
comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware: 1-4384
comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad: 1-12
comp.sys.prime: 1-18
comp.sys.raspberry-pi: 1-5460
comp.sys.sun.hardware: 1-97
comp.sys.tandem: 1-737
comp.sys.unisys: 1-365
comp.sys.xerox: 1-26
comp.terminals: 1-107
comp.unix.admin: 1-16
comp.unix.aix: 1-79
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc: 1-201
comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc: 1-45
comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.announce: 1-80
comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc: 1-14
comp.unix.misc: 1-60
comp.unix.questions: 1-29
comp.unix.sco.misc: 1-16
comp.unix.shell: 1-2111
comp.unix.solaris: 1-585
comp.windows.x: 1-89
eternal-september.config: 1-89
eternal-september.newusers: 1-93
eternal-september.support: 1-1320
linux.kernel: 1-192
microsoft.public.win3x_wfw_dos: 1-10
news.admin.misc: 1-20
news.admin.net-abuse.email: 1-1887
news.admin.net-abuse.misc: 1-123
news.admin.net-abuse.usenet: 1-209
news.admin.peering: 1-43
news.admin.technical: 1-20
news.announce.newgroups: 1-20
news.groups: 1-87
news.software.nntp: 1-243
news.software.readers: 1-1264
perl.ldap: 1-13
pl.comp.sys.novell: 1-19
rec.radio.amateur.antenna: 1-1216
rec.radio.amateur.dx: 1-3209
rec.radio.amateur.equipment: 1-2083
rec.radio.amateur.homebrew: 1-1453
rec.radio.scanner: 1-40
rec.radio.shortwave: 1-7651
rec.radio.swap: 1-1615
rec.toys.lego: 1-13
uk.comp.os.linux: 1-562
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
andrew
2019-08-18 22:11:13 UTC
Post by Grant Taylor
Here's 120 entries in my newsrc file. The #-# represents the number of
articles that my client has seen in the last 14 or so months worth of
history on my news server.
Thank you!

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Grant Taylor
2019-08-19 05:12:58 UTC
Post by andrew
Thank you!
You're welcome.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Sqwertz
2019-08-21 06:25:16 UTC
Post by Grant Taylor
Post by andrew
Well, I have been wrong before :). I would be very interested to see
a list of reasonably active newsgroups if you were able to post even
part of your list in a pastebin somewhere?
Here's 120 entries in my newsrc file. The #-# represents the number of
articles that my client has seen in the last 14 or so months worth of
history on my news server.
There are other newsgroups that are less active or haven't seen any at
least two digits worth of articles.
alt.bbs: 1-146
alt.bbs.allsysop: 1-27
alt.bbs.doors: 1-50
alt.bbs.general: 1-67
alt.bbs.wildcat: 1-50
alt.comp.editors.batch: 1-10
alt.comp.lang.pascal: 1-32
You call THAT active? That's how much spam I get in my defunct
groups. And a few FAQ-bots that haven't been removed from crontabs.
But even the FAQs are 20 years old.

-sw
Grant Taylor
2019-08-22 04:01:51 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
You call THAT active?
Yes.

They are mostly legitimate messages and they take up enough of my time
to skim through them.

Especially compared to other people I see talking about subscribing to a
single digit number of groups that have a single digit number of
messages per month.

My servers see ~15k articles per day. IMHO that's decidedly
not-inactive. Is it anything like Usenet used to be, no. Is it dead, no.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Sqwertz
2019-08-21 06:11:41 UTC
Post by andrew
Post by Grant Taylor
Usenet newsgroups might not be as active as they once were. But they
are still plenty active.
I am starting to consider dropping my subscription to individual.net
next time it comes up as Usenet declines. Sad to see such a great thing
slowly fade away.
The amount of traffic on usenet over the last 15 years has increased
10-15% each year, and increased 30% every year of the last 5, last I
looked a year ago. Usenet is busier than ever. Unfortunately it's
99.999% binaries.

It's ironic that such an ancient technology, one that actually makes
data BIGGER via encoding into text, is still in use today
transferring terabytes of data between servers as hundreds of large
text messages not unlike email, to each be individually unencoded,
uncompressed and reassembled into just a single file. It's a huge
waste of energy and computing time.

Usenet (and UUCP) are 40 years old. What other computer networking
protocols/services still in use today are 40+ years old? And
carrying heavier and heavier loads? Even NNTP is 33 years old.

-sw
Grant Taylor
2019-08-22 04:17:48 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
The amount of traffic on usenet over the last 15 years has increased
10-15% each year, and increased 30% every year of the last 5, last I
looked a year ago. Usenet is busier than ever. Unfortunately it's
99.999% binaries.
I don't deal in binaries, so I'll have to take your word for that.
Post by Sqwertz
It's ironic that such an ancient technology, one that actually makes
data BIGGER via encoding into text, is still in use today transferring
terabytes of data between servers as hundreds of large text messages
not unlike email, to each be individually unencoded, uncompressed
and reassembled into just a single file. It's a huge waste of energy
and computing time.
It may be a waste by some definition. But I suspect that people are
getting value out of it, thus calling into question waste. Also, I
suspect that Usenet is wasting FAR less energy than other things, all
the huge JavaScript include libraries come to mind, and Bitcoin (et al.)
mining.
Post by Sqwertz
Usenet (and UUCP) are 40 years old.
I would have thought that UUCP was older than that.
Post by Sqwertz
What other computer networking protocols/services still in use today
are 40+ years old?
I'm not aware of many protocols that are that old.

TCP/IP (RFC 761) was published in January 1980, so it's soon to be 40
years old.

But TCP/IP is not a file transfer protocol like UUCP is.

It looks like XMODEM was introduced in 1977, so that's just about 43
years old.

I suspect that mainframes had some sort of non-tape based file transfer,
though I don't know what it is. It looks like BITNET was '81, so 39
years old. According to Wikipedia, RSCS went into service in '73, so 47
nearly years old.

It looks like DECnet was from '75, so nearly 45 years old.

There aren't many networking protocols that are much older than that.
Especially considering that networking as we know it largely didn't
exist much earlier than that.
Post by Sqwertz
And carrying heavier and heavier loads? Even NNTP is 33 years old.
Does NNTP constitute transferring files? If not, then SMTP ('82 / 37)
and IP ('80 / 39) come to mind. It looks like NCP might have been as
early as '70 / 49 years old, though I'm not aware of anything using NCP
any more.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Neodome Admin
2019-09-19 02:48:34 UTC
Post by x***@gmail.com
Hi I'm looking good Windows newsgroups software that allows proxy configuration.
any ideas ?
thank's
You can use Hamster.

<http://www.tglsoft.de/freeware_hamster.html>

It’s not Usenet client but a local server. However, it supports proxies and
connects to upstream as client. Website is in German, but program interface
is in English. Once you set it up, you can connect to localhost with any
client you like. Your connection will look like that:

[you]->[Hamster]->[proxy]->[upstream server]
--
Neodome