binary groups server without the binaries
Etian
2019-03-14 21:11:37 UTC
The server address is: news.nzbot.com
No authentication is required.

The SSL certificate is self-signed. Accept it, or use port 119. (I'll
buy a certificate if there is enough interest.)

The posts containing binaries have been removed and replaced with
metadata in the form of an nzb file attachment UUencoded.

Plain text posts have been retained, as well as the 0 part file of
multipart binaries.

.nfo and .txt files have been decoded into plain text in the body.

Single part nzb files originally posted have been retained, but
converted from yEnc into UUencoding, so they can be downloaded using
Outlook Express or Thunderbird. Multiple part nzb files that have been
posted, instead have an nzb file made of the nzb file. (Try to wrap your
brain around that.)

xpat is allowed, and there is also a Keywords: header in the overviews
that you can search using xpat.

posting is not allowed, but I'm working on it.

It does not contain the largest groups--the code couldn't keep up with
them. By necessity, it runs about a week behind.

The code greedily combines multiple sets from the same author posted
close together in time--sometimes this works well, other times it seems
a bit crazy. It surprises me at what it does sometimes.

Maybe someone will find it useful, I don't know. I've spent years
developing it, so I hope so.

Please play with it and test it. I would appreciate any comments or
suggestions.

Etian
sonic-news
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
IDIOT
Lewis
2019-03-17 02:39:37 UTC
IDIOT
Yes, we know you are. Good of you to admit it though.
'They're the cream!' Rincewind sighed. 'Cohen, they're the cheese.'
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2019-03-18 15:04:54 UTC
Post by Lewis
IDIOT
Yes, we know you are. Good of you to admit it though.
Man, you really got me on that one.
LOL
Sn!pe
2019-10-03 22:49:48 UTC
[afn only]
Post by Lewis
IDIOT
Yes, we know you are. Good of you to admit it though.
Hi, Lewis, if you're still around; could you help us out
with a discussion in eternal-september.support please?

Someone has made a no doubt scurrilous suggestion that
you might be sockpuppet of notorious Paul Derbyshire
of Pembroke, ON. Some say that he was the perpetrator
of the infamous "Seamus MacRae" troll here in afn some
years ago. I'd hate to think that there was any truth
in that, it would mean that I've wasted my time talking
to you in e-s.s. I should mention that you owe me a
reply in there.

I'd crosspost this into e-s.s if only there wasn't a
restriction on xposts into that local group. Should I
multipost it?
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon just is.
Sn!pe
2019-10-03 23:30:05 UTC
Post by Sn!pe
[afn only]
Apologies, nsr, I neglected to sneck this group.

[fu2: adn]
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon just is.
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2019-10-04 17:21:53 UTC
Post by Sn!pe
I'd crosspost this into e-s.s if only there wasn't a
restriction on xposts into that local group. Should I
multipost it?
You momma gimme good head.
LOL

yomomma
2019-03-17 02:07:06 UTC
Etian
2019-03-17 17:59:44 UTC
Post by yomomma
- web interface definitely needs some love
- groups lists in web interface and on server are different?
- what's the advantage compared to traditional indexer? Why
didn't you just set up an indexer? No offence, just curious.
alt.free.newsservers is trolling paradise now, don't pay
attention to those fuckers.
The engine behind this is built on an indexer (heavily modified ikbin).
What indexers lack are the threaded conversations behind the posts. Who
needs another indexer like all the others?

The web interface is pnews without any improvements. It gives the
webcrawlers something to sift through. Yes, I would prefer one that
looks like Outlook Express or Thunderbird. Until then, one can just use
Outlook Express or Thunderbird.

The objective here is to make it easy for the user to interact with
others in the newsgroup, or at least see the interaction that occurred
around the post.
yomomma
2019-03-18 13:15:45 UTC
What are you going to do with generated NZBs? Will you
post them to Usenet, like some other indexers do?