40tude: WHy did it bold this text in a plain-text body?
Sqwertz
2021-04-17 01:24:07 UTC
Why did Dialog, after 21 years of loyal use, choose to bold this
particular text in the body and but no others enclosed in asterisks?

From header:

Ain't never ever done this here that before golly gee whiz Wally.

I even bolded (with asterisks) plenty of words/phrases in my posts
and they don't show up bold even for me in my own newsreader, but
this Googler can? I haven't touched a single setting for a few weeks
(and nothing related to this).
Bernd Rose
2021-04-17 06:15:23 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Why did Dialog, after 21 years of loyal use, choose to bold this
particular text in the body and but no others enclosed in asterisks?
Several conditions must be met to see text between asterisks bold in
40tude Dialog. If this is the case, bolding (as well as showing italic
text between "/" chars or underlined text between underscores) has always
worked flawlessly. - At least for me.

Settings -> General Settings -> Article Colors -> Color Coding in articles
-> Enable support for */_ styles in articles

must be ticked on and the number of all characters of the whole message
needs to be smaller than the setting found alongside above mentioned
checkbox. (Disable color coding for articles with more than X characters.)

In the message itself, the format characters must appear in pairs on
a line. (No multiline bolding etc.) Between the format characters and
the first and last character of the text, which is to be formatted,
must be no space character. Spaces somewhere inside the text are fine,
though.

Format characters are /not/ applied when formatting quoted text. The list
of quote characters can be adjusted (Settings -> General Settings -> Misc).
Inserting a "normal" text character there, will interfere with formatting
each time it is encountered at the start of a line.

Formatting is also not applied in Raw message view.

If you happen to have normal text formatted with either a bold font or a
bold style, you won't see a difference on screen for text formatted bold
because of asterisks. Because this can be set differently for monospaced
and variable wide fonts, you may have a different impression when you
switch between those font variants.

Scripts may interfere with formatting, when they change incoming messages.

Hm. This should be the major points, that might interfere with formatting.

HTH.
Bernd
VanguardLH
2021-04-22 05:45:53 UTC
https://i.postimg.cc/6q581YDc/textpost.jpg
Ain't never ever done this here that before golly gee whiz Wally.
I even bolded (with asterisks) plenty of words/phrases in my posts
and they don't show up bold even for me in my own newsreader, but
this Googler can? I haven't touched a single setting for a few weeks
(and nothing related to this).
Because newsgroups are mostly text-only groups, users still wanted a way
to emphasize some text. Bracketing a string with asterisks means to
bold the string. Bracketing a string with underscores means to
underline the string. Bracketing a string with slashes means to
italicize the string.

*bold this string*
_underline this string_
/italicize this string/

/*bold and italicize this string*/
_/underline and italicize this string/_
*_bold and underline this string_*

Those are just placeholders indicating formatting for a string. A
client may parse the message to find those to add formatting in its
*view* of a message, but there is no real formatting within the message.
It's just a hint to the reader's client to add formatting *if* the
client supports those hints. Because they are just hints in a text-only
message, they still appear in the message. That is, *bolded* text will
be presented a bolded text, but the asterisks are still shown (the
formatting hints do not get hidden).

Tis up to your client to decide whether or not, if it can, add the
formatting in the view of the message. Similarly, when you get e-mail
with hyperlinks, it is up to the client to decide whether or not to make
the hyperlink clickable. The URL is just a text string, but the client
may parse to notice the string is a URL, and the client makes the text
string clickable.

As I recall, I've run into problems using the formatting hints when the
string continues to the next physical line. That is, *sometimes
bolding, say, doesn't continue* to the next physical line. I don't know
if the convention is to apply the formatting only within a line, or if
it supposed to continue to following physical lines but I hit some
special case or bug. So, I keep the formatting hints to a string that
resides wholly within a physical line.