Posting with slrn AND nano
ffuentes
2021-05-21 04:24:33 UTC
Here I have a silly question. Do any of you use nano to post to newsgroups?
I know slrn has a good example of how to setup vim to post
but how can someone post from nano? I wanna make nano wrap at 72 characters
(which can be done with -r) but I also wanna make the cursor to stay in
between the response and the header.

nano -r 72 -S +10

Is this right? Do any of you have a better idea?
--
***@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org
andrew
2021-05-21 05:03:28 UTC
Post by ffuentes
Here I have a silly question. Do any of you use nano to post to newsgroups?
Unfortunately I have always used vim with slrn under Linux and gvim
with slrn under Windows...

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Lewis
2021-05-21 10:02:43 UTC
Post by ffuentes
Here I have a silly question. Do any of you use nano to post to newsgroups?
The editor has nothing to do with posting tp newsgroups. YOu can use any
editor you want. I am sure plenty of people use nano, just as plenty use
vim, vim, emacs, gvim, and even BBEdit.
Post by ffuentes
I know slrn has a good example of how to setup vim to post
but how can someone post from nano?
set your editor to nano in your .slrnrc.
Post by ffuentes
I wanna make nano wrap at 72 characters (which can be done with -r)
but I also wanna make the cursor to stay in between the response and
the header.
nano -r 72 -S +10
Is this right? Do any of you have a better idea?
Seems like that should work based on the man page (I don't use nano).
--
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES BART A DULL BOY
Bart chalkboard Ep. 1F07
RonB
2021-05-21 14:47:49 UTC
Post by ffuentes
I wanna make nano wrap at 72 characters (which can be done with -r)
but I also wanna make the cursor to stay in between the response and
the header.
nano -r 72 -S +10
Is this right? Do any of you have a better idea?
Seems like that should work based on the man page (I don't use nano).
I don't either — I use the jstar "flavor" of joe (Joe's Own Editor).

Somehow I figured out the following line (which works for me).

set editor_command "jstar +%d '%s'"

At this point I don't know what "+%d" and "'%s'" do — I would have to look
it up again. I don't have to worry about the 72 character line, as jstar
just brings in its own settings from its own .jstarc configuration file. I
don't know right now where the cursor goes when I do a follow up — I'll have
to check that out and report back. Wherever it ends up I'm used to what it
does.

Sorry I can't be any more help. I've tried nano but could never get "into
it."
--
Saudis bomb & starve Yemeni civilians: (crickets)
Yemenis attack Saudi oil facilities: TERRORISM!
RonB
2021-05-21 14:49:16 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by ffuentes
[...]
Just checked, my cursor does stay between the response and he header. So I
guess that's built into jstar (somehow).
Lewis
2021-05-21 21:04:14 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by RonB
Post by ffuentes
[...]
It is probably the +%d, but I do not have joe installed on any machine
and I can’t be arsed looking up a man page online.
--
I hope this email finds you Living in a shotgun shack
I hope this email finds you In another part of the world
I hope this email finds you Behind the wheel of a large automobile
RonB
2021-05-21 23:28:10 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by RonB
Post by RonB
Post by ffuentes
[...]
You were right — "%d — number of the first line of the message body"
(Don't know what the plus sign does.)

%s is for the file name.

So could the original poster also use the +%d (or just %d) for nano?
Lewis
2021-05-22 03:09:41 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by Lewis
Post by RonB
Post by RonB
Post by ffuentes
[...]
Probably? It would need the + however, since nano wants +<num> for a
line number to start on.
When you come to the fork in the road, take it
Ted Heise
2021-05-21 21:42:27 UTC
On Fri, 21 May 2021 04:24:33 -0000 (UTC),
Post by ffuentes
Here I have a silly question. Do any of you use nano to post to newsgroups?
I know slrn has a good example of how to setup vim to post but
how can someone post from nano? I wanna make nano wrap at 72
characters (which can be done with -r) but I also wanna make
the cursor to stay in between the response and the header.
nano -r 72 -S +10
Is this right? Do any of you have a better idea?
I use pico, which I think is related to nano. Here's what I have
in my .slrnrc, perhaps it will help?

set editor_command "pico -z -t -r66 -Q \"> \" %s"

The "-r66" part is the line length before wrapping. Many of the
newsgroups I frequent have extended back and forth discussions, so
after a few exchanges 72 starts to look pretty bad.

I also love pico's rewrap feature (Ctrl-j) that even rewraps
quoted text properly (used it above).
Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
RonB
2021-05-21 23:36:26 UTC
Post by ffuentes
Here I have a silly question. Do any of you use nano to post to newsgroups?
I know slrn has a good example of how to setup vim to post but
how can someone post from nano? I wanna make nano wrap at 72
characters (which can be done with -r) but I also wanna make
the cursor to stay in between the response and the header.
nano -r 72 -S +10
Is this right? Do any of you have a better idea?
I use pico, which I think is related to nano. Here's what I have
in my .slrnrc, perhaps it will help?
set editor_command "pico -z -t -r66 -Q \"> \" %s"
The "-r66" part is the line length before wrapping. Many of the
newsgroups I frequent have extended back and forth discussions, so
after a few exchanges 72 starts to look pretty bad.
I also love pico's rewrap feature (Ctrl-j) that even rewraps
quoted text properly (used it above).
I use that feature (Ctrl-b) all the time in jstar as well (it appears to
work the same). I might look at setting up a jstar configuration just for
slrn — you make a good point about using 66 columns instead of a higher
number.
Lewis
I'm the best singer in Tasmania. With teeth.
RonB
2021-05-22 05:40:36 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by ffuentes
[...]
If I hadn't used WordStar in DOS for so long I probably would be using some
other editor in Linux. But jstar was like "coming home" for me. That's the
great thing about Linux, lots of choices.
Ted Heise
2021-05-22 14:22:26 UTC
On Sat, 22 May 2021 03:11:40 -0000 (UTC),
Post by Lewis
Post by ffuentes
I know slrn has a good example of how to setup vim to post
but how can someone post from nano? I wanna make nano wrap
at 72 characters (which can be done with -r) but I also
wanna make the cursor to stay in between the response and
the header.
nano -r 72 -S +10
Is this right? Do any of you have a better idea?
I use pico, which I think is related to nano. Here's what I
have in my .slrnrc, perhaps it will help?
set editor_command "pico -z -t -r66 -Q \"> \" %s"
I also love pico's rewrap feature (Ctrl-j) that even rewraps
quoted text properly (used it above).
I use that feature (Ctrl-b) all the time in jstar as well (it
appears to work the same). I might look at setting up a jstar
configuration just for slrn ??? you make a good point about
using 66 columns instead of a higher number.
And gq in vim.
I *knew* it. :)

See header in my first post...
Post by Lewis
ObICanSeeItComing: some folks will be sure to say vim does it too
--
Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA