[slrn]: Initial tidy up of slrn web site...
andrew
2019-08-19 02:13:05 UTC
I have spent the morning cleaning up the slrn web site:

http://slrn.sourceforge.net/

There is no new content, instead the following areas have been attended:

1. HTML and CSS cleanup with a move over to HTML5, this was a pretty
big job but worthwhile
2. Clean up of the several links to external sources that have
withered with time, most of them mine
3. Cleaned up the .htaccess file
4. Unmunged the contact email address, seems to no longer really be
required

Todo:

1. Write up a proper custom 404 page
2. Pray that someone can get hold of slrn dot org, which was domain
name sniped a while ago. I am keen to host away from sourceforge with
a proper domain name...

I will put the page back to sleep in a week or so but if any keen slrn
users can see anything they would like corrected I would be very happy
to hear from you!

Thanks,

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
J.B. Nicholson
2019-08-20 00:57:29 UTC
Post by andrew
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
Thanks for taking care of this site. Much appreciated!
Post by andrew
4. Unmunged the contact email address, seems to no longer really be
required
Thanks for this.
Post by andrew
2. Pray that someone can get hold of slrn dot org, which was domain
name sniped a while ago. I am keen to host away from sourceforge with
a proper domain name...
Was there something special about slrn.org that made it particularly
worth having or would slrn.[any top-level domain] do just as well?
Post by andrew
I will put the page back to sleep in a week or so but if any keen
slrn users can see anything they would like corrected I would be very
happy to hear from you!
Please change my name from J.B. Nicholson-Owens to J.B. Nicholson on
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/links.html
andrew
2019-08-20 22:27:45 UTC
Post by J.B. Nicholson
Was there something special about slrn.org that made it particularly
worth having or would slrn.[any top-level domain] do just as well?
I guess the big issue for me has always been the defacement of slrn dot
org with advertisements such as 'hickey removal' products combined with
an old version of the slrn site. Other choice would be slrn.net but
looks like a domain name camper has that. Sigh...
Post by J.B. Nicholson
Please change my name from J.B. Nicholson-Owens to J.B. Nicholson on
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/links.html
Done :)

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Lewis
2019-08-22 08:17:16 UTC
Post by andrew
1. Write up a proper custom 404 page
You might consider simply having 404s redirect to the home page. You
could even redirect with a timed banner that said something like "the
page you tried to load doesn't exist".

404 pages seem like a very 1990s idea that mostly just get in the way of
the user.

Also,. of you can avoid rewriting the URL so that a person could, for
example, fix the typo in the page URL they typed, that would be great.

(not a huge deal at all, just throwing out ideas).
Post by andrew
2. Pray that someone can get hold of slrn dot org, which was domain
name sniped a while ago. I am keen to host away from sourceforge with
a proper domain name...
You don't know who has it? I mean, it was updated last year.
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open.
andrew
2019-08-22 08:57:59 UTC
Post by Lewis
You don't know who has it? I mean, it was updated last year.
The domain name was originally held by one of the early web site
developers for slrn and unfortunately was allowed to lapse. It was
quickly snapped up by a domain name sniper who eventually placed the
advertising on the page.

I made contact with the owner a few years ago and offered to buy the
name but I did not offer enough money and now emails are ignored...

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Daniel Goldsmith
2019-10-22 09:24:54 UTC
Post by andrew
Post by Lewis
You don't know who has it? I mean, it was updated last year.
I made contact with the owner a few years ago and offered to buy the
name but I did not offer enough money and now emails are ignored...
There are a number of european ccTLDs of that name available, as well as a
number of `tech` gTLDs. Costs are variable, but plenty of availability.

Serious kudos on the clean up of the website, though.
--
Protected by their camouflage, the New International Militant Hedgehogs
__o __o __o __o (NIMH) Approach their Target
<***@ascraeus.org>
andrew
2019-10-22 21:56:43 UTC
Post by Daniel Goldsmith
There are a number of european ccTLDs of that name available, as well as a
number of `tech` gTLDs. Costs are variable, but plenty of availability.
Thanks, I will have a closer look...
Post by Daniel Goldsmith
Serious kudos on the clean up of the website, though.
I am reasonably happy with the result and with the decline of Usenet
perhaps this is the last required clean up. And I had a lot of fun
sorting out the HTML :)

Andrew
--
You think that's air you're breathing now?