B8MB Newsreader list
Jason Evans
2020-12-25 21:28:13 UTC
Hi all,

I've revamped the newsreader list on the B8MB wiki. I would like to know
to know if anyone has any suggestions on newsreaders that I am missing.

I've tried including links where ever I can, even to defunct readers via
Wayback Machine.

One thing, I am not including binary downloaders, so I know there are a
lot of those that are not there, just traditional newsreaders.

Jason

https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Newsreaders
Grant Taylor
2020-12-26 01:35:14 UTC
Post by Jason Evans
Hi all,
Hi Jason,
Post by Jason Evans
I've revamped the newsreader list on the B8MB wiki. I would like
to know to know if anyone has any suggestions on newsreaders that I
am missing.
It looks like Thunderbird is is missing for Windows and Mac.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Adam H. Kerman

trn is missing, too.
Jason Evans
2020-12-26 12:41:11 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Lobbying from Ray?
trn is missing, too.
Thanks Adam, I added trn. Unfortunately, there hasn't been an update in
~10 years so it's going into the "historical" category.

Jason
John D Groenveld
2020-12-26 14:13:09 UTC
Post by Jason Evans
Thanks Adam, I added trn. Unfortunately, there hasn't been an update in
~10 years so it's going into the "historical" category.
There is fork on Github which includes Eli the Bearded's patch
for Unicode:
<URL:https://github.com/acli/trn>

John
***@acm.org
Adam H. Kerman
2020-12-26 16:58:23 UTC
Post by John D Groenveld
Post by Jason Evans
Thanks Adam, I added trn. Unfortunately, there hasn't been an update in
~10 years so it's going into the "historical" category.
There is fork on Github which includes Eli the Bearded's patch
<URL:https://github.com/acli/trn>
He was inspired to contribute that a few months ago. But Wayne had moved
the trn project into github and Eli made his contribution there. I
assume if Wayne is ever inspired to work on trn again, he'll incorporate
Eli's work.

We can't count that as a fork given the intent of moving the project to
github in the first place.
Adam H. Kerman
Yes, I realize it's a separate repository.
Jason Evans
2020-12-26 12:28:57 UTC
Post by Grant Taylor
It looks like Thunderbird is is missing for Windows and Mac.
Thunderbird is listed as being available for multiple platforms and the
download link takes you to the page where it can be downloaded for all of
the major OS's

Jason
Michael Bäuerle
2020-12-26 08:59:40 UTC
Post by Jason Evans
[...]
* bystand (Unix)
<http://zzo38computer.org/fossil/bystand.ui/index>
* OpenXP (Unix, Windows)
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/openxp5/>
* Usenapp (Mac)
<https://www.usenapp.com/>
Jason Evans
2020-12-26 13:28:02 UTC
Post by Michael Bäuerle
Post by Jason Evans
[...]
* bystand (Unix)
<http://zzo38computer.org/fossil/bystand.ui/index>
* OpenXP (Unix, Windows)
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/openxp5/>
* Usenapp (Mac)
<https://www.usenapp.com/>
Thanks Michael,

I have added those as well.

Jason
Frank Slootweg
2020-12-26 19:35:15 UTC
Post by Jason Evans
Hi all,
I've revamped the newsreader list on the B8MB wiki. I would like to know
to know if anyone has any suggestions on newsreaders that I am missing.
I've tried including links where ever I can, even to defunct readers via
Wayback Machine.
I think that some (most? all?) entries also need a link to the 'home
page' of the newsreader, not just the 'Download' link.

For example the 'Download' link for tin is:

<ftp://ftp.tin.org/pub/news/clients/tin/stable/tin-current.tar.gz>

Someone who's looking for a newsreader isn't (initially) interested in
some compressed tar-ball, but in information about the newsreader.

From some examples one might easily derive the URL of the home page,
but in this case one has to cut everything after the domain name and
then be smart enough to drop the 'ftp://ftp.' part and use the rest
(tin.org) as the URL of a website. Way too many hoops to jump through.

So in this case, I think there also should be some 'home page' link
which contains <http://tin.org/>.

[...]
Post by Jason Evans
HTH.
BTW, why make a 'list' of newsreaders when there's only one!? :-)
yamo'
2020-12-27 10:45:22 UTC
Hi,
Post by Jason Evans
For Mac users : <https://maccafe-osx.pagesperso-orange.fr/>

At this time, I think it's only in French.
Stéphane
Rink
2021-01-02 19:46:28 UTC
Post by Jason Evans
Hi all,
I've revamped the newsreader list on the B8MB wiki. I would like to know
to know if anyone has any suggestions on newsreaders that I am missing.
I've tried including links where ever I can, even to defunct readers via
Wayback Machine.
One thing, I am not including binary downloaders, so I know there are a
lot of those that are not there, just traditional newsreaders.
Jason
https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Newsreaders
Hi Jason,

Thank you for updating this page.

One question:
Why do you list Multiple newsreaders only under Linux?
That is not logical (by Mr. Spock).

I have Windows, so I look under Windows not under Linux.

Two alternative choices:
1. Don't separate OS's (just like under Mobile and historical)
2. A separate Multiple OS and separate Linux

Rink

(not English speaker)
Grant Taylor
2021-01-02 22:39:12 UTC
Post by Rink
1. Don't separate OS's (just like under Mobile and historical)
You might consider a table that has one column that is the client and
then an additional column for the OSs.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
andrew
2021-01-07 09:31:45 UTC
Post by Jason Evans
I've revamped the newsreader list on the B8MB wiki. I would like to know
to know if anyone has any suggestions on newsreaders that I am missing.
Great work! I have 2 suggestions regarding slrn:

1. Your slrn link is incorrect, you have linked to a site that is
owned by a person who has defaced the site with particularly nasty
advertising. The canonical slrn site is now:

https://www.slrn.info

2. slrn works very, very well under Windows in fact I am posting with
slrn from within Windows 10 right now! It would be nice to see it
also listed as a Windowa newsreader. There is a binary package
available for Windows here:

https://www.slrn.info/windows/slrn-1.0.3-win32-ads.zip

And thanks for your hard work!

Andrew
--
You think that's air you're breathing now?