getting an error message "Cannot create file <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc"
Mad Dog Mike
2020-10-01 11:53:42 UTC
I finish reading articles in a group and I'll either catch up or just close
the group window and I get an error message

"Cannot create file <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc"

this is something new happening to me. Xnews has worked without a hitch
for years.
raf
Looks like your newsserver got trottled.
Grant Taylor
2020-10-01 18:15:35 UTC
Post by Mad Dog Mike
I finish reading articles in a group and I'll either catch up or just
close the group window and I get an error message
"Cannot create file <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc"
Presuming that you're communicating with your server using NNTP....

This message seems entirely client side to me.

Can you access <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc on your computer?

Can you edit <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc on your computer?

It looks to me like Xnews is trying to update the listed .newsrc file
and unable to do so.
Post by Mad Dog Mike
this is something new happening to me. Xnews has worked without a
hitch for years.
A definition of broken comes to mind: It used to work and now it does not.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Mad Dog Mike
Mad Dog Mike
2020-11-28 09:24:35 UTC
Post by Mad Dog Mike
this is something new happening to me. Xnews has worked without a
hitch for years.
A definition of broken comes to mind: It used to work and now it does not.
turns out I wasn't running the latest version to the software (2006). I
found a 2009 and seems to have cleared up the problem, for now.