[flnews] Version 0.17 released
Michael Bäuerle
2020-01-11 11:50:54 UTC
New features of flnews 0.17
===========================
* Display article from "news" type URI in separate window
(if it's not found in current group)
* Clickable References added to article window
* Search for Message-ID added ("Tools->Search Message-ID" or Ctrl-s)
* Command line option "-4" added (force usage of IPv4 network protocol)
* Decoder for RFC 3676 "flowed" format modified: The 'flowed_insert_crlf'
entry in configfile can add an empty line separator after every
paragraph that ends with an empty line.
* The behaviour of 'flowed_insert_crlf' can be requested by the sender
of an article with the experimental parameter "InsLine=yes" in the
Content-Type headerfield (see background section below)
* TLS modules compile time option 'CFG_USE_TLS_OWNCERTS' replaced by
new 'tls_owncerts' entry in configfile
* TLS module now supports new 'crl_check' entry in configfile (ignored
if compile time option CFG_TLS_CRLS_DISABLE is nonzero)
* OpenSSL 3 is now supported (required for negotiation of RFC 7919 FFDHE
groups with TLSv1.2 and TLSv1.3 protocols)
* LibreSSL 3 is now supported
* Normalization based on Unicode 12.1.0

Full changelog, Sourcecode, Documentation, etc.:
<http://micha.freeshell.org/flnews/>
<http://www.ybtra.de/flnews-mirror/>
<http://www.southcity.de/flnews/>

Background for experimental "InsLine" parameter
RFC 3676 [1] specify that a paragraph must contain at least 2 lines:

| paragraph = 1*flowed-line fixed-line
| ; all lines in paragraph MUST be unquoted or
| ; have same quote depth

For narrow displays, e.g. on Smartphones, it may be intended that all
text can be rewrapped for presentation. If the text for a paragraph
is e.g. 65 characters, it will fit on a single line with the 78-
character wrapping recommended for article generation. But to make it
a paragraph in the syntax of RFC 3676, it must be wrapped too early
(wrapped trailing part as fixed-line) or an empty fixed-line must be
appended (in addition to a paragraph separation line, if present).
Both variants look ugly if the article is interpreted as fixed format.

Some people therefore generate flowed articles in a way that all its
paragraphs end with an empty line (by using/abusing separation lines
intended for fixed format to terminate the paragraphs).
This looks ugly if viewed as flowed format, if no additional indentation
is created by the flowed decoder at the beginning of paragraphs (because
there is no vertical space between paragraphs anymore).

The "InsLine=yes" parameter is intended to declare that the sender has
used empty separation lines as paragraph termination and that the flowed
decoder should recreate them for presentation.

[Xpost and Fup2 news.software.readers]

______________
[1] <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3676#section-4.2>
Jason Evans
2020-02-08 13:38:06 UTC
Post by Michael Bäuerle
New features of flnews 0.17
===========================
[...]
I took some time to install flnews on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. The current
version in the repository is 0.18pre2.

The interface looks good.
Everything is very readable and it would not be a bad choice for a day-
to-day newsreader and it could be a great Linux replacement to Pan or
Thunderbird for those like me who prefer a GUI.

I don't see any way to filter spam. This is a much-have feature.

Being able to use multiple servers would be good. Not every service
has the same retension. Some are hard pressed to have anything > 1 year.

Finally, there is no GnuPG/PGP integration. This isn't a must-have but
it is a good idea to have.

I look forward to seeing where this project goes to in the future!

Jason
Michael Bäuerle
2020-02-08 15:20:30 UTC
Post by Jason Evans
Post by Michael Bäuerle
New features of flnews 0.17
===========================
[...]
I took some time to install flnews on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. The current
version in the repository is 0.18pre2.
The interface looks good.
Everything is very readable and it would not be a bad choice for a day-
to-day newsreader and it could be a great Linux replacement to Pan or
Thunderbird for those like me who prefer a GUI.
I don't see any way to filter spam. This is a much-have feature.
A scoring system is already present, but not accessible via GUI yet.
It is configured with the file "~/.flnews/scorefile".
The format of scorefile is documented in the manual page section
SCORING [1].

Examples:

| # Negative score for articles with Message-ID from AIOE
| msgid_ere:-1:.*\.aioe\.org
| # Negative score for a newsgroup (including Xposts to this group)
| group:-1:de.talk.tagesgeschehen

The scoring system is fully Unicode aware and you can e.g. use my name
in a "from"-rule (Normalization Form C *must* be used for scorefile)
without thinking about MIME. Every valid encoding variant of my name
will match, as long as it is canonically equivalent in the sense of
Unicode (e.g. if written with a decomposed umlaut).

Rules with "_ere" suffix or newsgroup wildmat use POSIX extended regular
expressions [2] (and are only available if the operating system provides
POSIX.2 C language bindings. Listed as option CLB by "flnews -v").
Unicode matching is available if flnews is run in a locale that uses
UTF-8 codeset.

If multiple rules match, all scores of them are added.
Rules like the first example above can be used for open servers that are
abused by trolls in combination with whitelist rules for exceptions.

Articles with positive score are displayed with a green "+" in the GUI.
Articles with negative score are displayed with a black "X" in the GUI
(and are marked as read).

It is currently not possible to completely kill an article with the
scoring system (so that it is not displayed at all in the GUI).
Post by Jason Evans
Being able to use multiple servers would be good. Not every service
has the same retension. Some are hard pressed to have anything > 1 year.
I use leafnode for this purpose and to completely kill the really
annoying stuff.

Direct support for multiple servers would require larger refactoring
of the internal structure (not likely for the near future).
Post by Jason Evans
Finally, there is no GnuPG/PGP integration. This isn't a must-have but
it is a good idea to have.
This is already on the ToDo list.
Post by Jason Evans
I look forward to seeing where this project goes to in the future!
Currently I'm working on full MIME conformance according to RFC 2049
Section 2 [3].

Next will be a search option for the GUI.

Then the 1.0 release is planned.

[1] <http://micha.freeshell.org/flnews/doc/flnews.1.html>
[2] <https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap09.html#tag_09_04>
[3] <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2049#section-2>