[tin] Can tin do format=flowed?
Frank Slootweg
2020-01-14 14:17:16 UTC
Can tin do format=flowed?

I have a rather old version of tin (1.6.2-20030910), which AFAIK has
no support for format=flowed.

But also in the most recent tin(5) manpage [1], I can not find
anything about format=flowed. (And if tin has format=flowed support, I
would except to find it mentioned there.)

If tin indeed has no support for format=flowed, is there a specific
reason for that?

Background:
-----------

In several newsgroups, some people are complaining that my lines
(word-wrap at or before 72 columns) and other people's lines are too
short for their display windows.

I myself of course have no problems, because I use a standard
80-column display window.

But it would be nice to be able to accomodate users with wider (and
narrower) displays, hence my question.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

[1] <http://www.tin.org/bin/man.cgi?section=5&topic=tin>
Urs Janßen
2020-01-14 14:40:41 UTC
Post by Frank Slootweg
Can tin do format=flowed?
nope
Post by Frank Slootweg
If tin indeed has no support for format=flowed, is there a specific
reason for that?
nobody did implement it (as it's broken by design[1])?

[1] http://piology.org/SeaMonkey/format-flawed.html
Frank Slootweg
2020-01-14 16:31:58 UTC
Post by Urs Janßen
Post by Frank Slootweg
Can tin do format=flowed?
nope
Post by Frank Slootweg
If tin indeed has no support for format=flowed, is there a specific
reason for that?
nobody did implement it (as it's broken by design[1])?
[1] http://piology.org/SeaMonkey/format-flawed.html
Thanks for the info and pointer, Urs!

Things are apparently even worse than I already knew/experienced. So I
will drop this hot potato for now and will continue to use my nice
72-column lines in my 80-column window! :-)

AFAIC, case closed.