Checking PGP/GnuPG Signatures in tin
Russell
2021-05-22 13:50:59 UTC
I see a lot of people signing their posts with PGP and GnuPG, but when I
view the post, I just see the signature as an attachment. I can view the
attachments with 'V' and open the signature block, but I can't figure
out how to check the validity of the signed message. I've added the
public key to my gpg keyring and tried several variations of a mailcap
entry, but nothing works. Tin hooks the line in mailcap, but I get an
error that the command failed. I think I'm on the right track, but I
can't figure out the details since tin doesn't have a lot of
documentation.

Anyway, do any of you have this working in tin? How?
--
rust
0x68caecc97f6a90122e51c0692c88d9cb6b58a3dc
Urs Janßen
2021-05-23 00:41:48 UTC
Post by Russell
entry, but nothing works. Tin hooks the line in mailcap, but I get an
error that the command failed. I think I'm on the right track, but I
can't figure out the details since tin doesn't have a lot of
documentation.
inline pgp/gpg (none mime) should work via ^G when viewing an article
(and pgp/gpg was propperly detected/configured at compile time).

when mime is involved 'V' and mailcap should work

this is from my ~/.mailcap which I havn't touched for ages, can't say if
that still works, I don't do gpg.

application/pgp-signature;\
NAME=%s \&\& DATA=`echo $NAME|sed 's,\\(unknown-00.\\)\\.pgp,\\1.asc,'|tr '123456789' '012345678'` \&\& gpg --verify %s $DATA; needsterminal

and for headersigning (like in control messages) '|'"pgpverify" should do
it.
Urs Janßen
2021-05-25 21:07:13 UTC
If the developer of tin doesn't have it working, I guess it just doesn't
work.
well, I don't do gpg, so that's _low_ on the list.
the note about RFC 2015 in TODO is ~20 years old.
Thank you for your suggestions. Please followup if you figure it out.
I'll do the same if I stumble onto a solution. lol!
as a last resort you could either pipe '|' the article to metamutt from the
pager (that's what I would do; I have metamail_prog left blank so tin does
the (other) mime handling internally).

a copy of metamutt (which of course requires a propperly configured mutt)
comes with the tin source, upstream is
<https://www.spinnaker.de/mutt/metamutt>.

or set metamail_prog (from 'M'enu / tinrc) to metamutt (I don't like that
(at least not without ask_for_metamail=ON), but YMMV).