[slrn] Feature request: Macro functionality to hide/unhide articles in article mode?
J.B. Nicholson
2020-04-05 07:35:58 UTC
May we please have a way to hide and recall articles in article mode
by giving some unique identifier(s) to know which article(s) to hide
(like message-IDs or whatever is more appropriate)? And a way to know
if any articles are being hidden?

I'm working on a macro to do this job but the method available to me
is slow because recalling hidden articles requires fetching info from
the newsserver. I store the message-IDs of articles I'll expunge and
later restore to the article list via locate_header_by_msgid(msgID,
1).

Is there a function to do this hiding/recalling job which I've
apparently forgotten? Or could there be a faster way to hide/recall
articles?

Thanks for considering this.
Mike Yetto
2020-04-05 14:43:08 UTC
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by J.B. Nicholson
May we please have a way to hide and recall articles in article mode
by giving some unique identifier(s) to know which article(s) to hide
(like message-IDs or whatever is more appropriate)? And a way to know
if any articles are being hidden?
I'm working on a macro to do this job but the method available to me
is slow because recalling hidden articles requires fetching info from
the newsserver. I store the message-IDs of articles I'll expunge and
later restore to the article list via locate_header_by_msgid(msgID,
1).
Is there a function to do this hiding/recalling job which I've
apparently forgotten? Or could there be a faster way to hide/recall
articles?
Thanks for considering this.
Won't sticky tags come close to what you want? It was written
years ago by someone called J.B. Nicholson-Owens. Anyone you
know?

Mike "someone is missing something, is it me?" Yetto
--
"The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the
suppression of ideas."
- Carl Sagan
J.B. Nicholson
2020-04-05 19:20:34 UTC
Mike Yetto
2020-04-06 16:53:23 UTC
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by J.B. Nicholson
Post by Mike Yetto
Won't sticky tags come close to what you want?
What I'm looking for is somewhat akin to what one can do in group
mode: hide unsubscribed groups from view and reveal those hidden
groups again.
Since I use Leafnode2 along with slrn this pointed me towards a
different approach. Would it be possible to post the articles in
question to a local group and just hide unhide those groups? Just
treating those groups normally would show you when there are new
posts there.

Mike "feel free to use or discard this idea as appropriate" Yetto
--
"People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of
proof but on the basis of what they find attractive."
- Blaise Pascal
J.B. Nicholson
2020-04-07 02:52:15 UTC
Post by Mike Yetto
Since I use Leafnode2 along with slrn this pointed me towards a
different approach. Would it be possible to post the articles in
question to a local group and just hide unhide those groups? Just
treating those groups normally would show you when there are new
posts there.
I think that there are some misunderstandings here: the new feature
I'm asking for doesn't involve posting new articles at all. This
feature involves articles that have already been posted. Also, I'm
asking about adding a feature to be used only in article mode.

I compared this to hiding groups in order to illustrate the idea that
hiding/revealing something is what I'm after; I'd like to avoid any
client-server interaction because that network traffic slows down the
entire process.

Perhaps I should better explain what I'm working on: a macro set to
let the user specify criteria to select some articles and see only
those articles which match the criteria. This would be done by hiding
non-matching articles. Hence the need to hide specific articles.

At this point the user could do whatever they like using slrn's
functionality and at any point the user could press a key to unhide
the previously-hidden articles.

I have a working proof-of-concept demo running which lets the user
input a subject substring. Non-matching articles are hidden, leaving
only the matching articles behind. Another key restores the previously
hidden articles to the article view. This is done in a way I wouldn't
want to use for very long due to the way in which articles are
restored to the article view (unhidden) which results in a lot of
network chatter that slows down the whole process.

Hopefully that makes things more clear.