[slrn] Windows slrn web page: last spruce up...
andrew
2020-03-07 23:17:34 UTC
I have just revised my page for compiling and running slrn under
Windows 10:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/slrn-windows.html

Probably for the last time I suspect as Usenet is not the place it was
with no signs of regrowth :(. It would be nice if somebody with
interest and a Windows installation could test it out, another set of
eyes can always be useful...

Andrew
You think that's air you're breathing now?
Lewis
2020-03-08 12:52:17 UTC
In message <***@skamandros.andrews-corner.org> andrew <***@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> I have just revised my page for compiling and running slrn under
> Windows 10:

> http://www.andrews-corner.org/slrn-windows.html

> Probably for the last time I suspect as Usenet is not the place it was
> with no signs of regrowth :(. It would be nice if somebody with
> interest and a Windows installation could test it out, another set of
> eyes can always be useful...

I don't use Windows much myself, but I will forward your post to some
Windows users on a private NNTP server.

NON-FLAMMABLE IS NOT A CHALLENGE Bart chalkboard Ep. BABF13
andrew
2020-03-09 21:58:27 UTC
On 2020-03-08, Lewis <***@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> I don't use Windows much myself, but I will forward your post to
> some Windows users on a private NNTP server.

Thanks for that! In my own defence I don't use Windows that much
either :)

Andrew
You think that's air you're breathing now?
Usenet Advocate #1337
2020-03-15 17:26:19 UTC
On 2020-03-07, andrew <***@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> I have just revised my page for compiling and running slrn under
> Windows 10:
>
> http://www.andrews-corner.org/slrn-windows.html
>
> Probably for the last time I suspect as Usenet is not the place it was
> with no signs of regrowth :(. It would be nice if somebody with
> interest and a Windows installation could test it out, another set of
> eyes can always be useful...
>
> Andrew
Usenet is showing major signs of regrowth. Don't feel sad.
Billions of people use Usenet everyday,
it is the world's largest social media network.

I am using slrn on Windows and its working fine,
haven't tried compiling it however (I downloaded it already compiled).
n***@zzo38computer.org.invalid
2020-03-15 22:35:34 UTC
Usenet Advocate #1337 <***@dont-email.invalid> wrote:
> Usenet is showing major signs of regrowth. Don't feel sad.
> Billions of people use Usenet everyday,
> it is the world's largest social media network.

I just started using Usenet in 2019, and it is much better than web forums
and mailing lists and Reddit and so on, in my opinion. (However, there
aren't many messages in many newsgroups.)

I don't know how much "major signs of regrowth" it is; do you have data to
show this "major signs of regrowth"?

You can also set up your own NNTP instead of a mailing list or web forum
if you want to set up another one; or, alternatively, have multiple
interfaces to the same messages, if wanted.

I have my own NNTP server for discussion of my own software projects.

Note: I am not always able to read/post messages during Monday-Friday.
andrew
2020-03-17 02:50:33 UTC
On 2020-03-15, Usenet Advocate #1337 <***@dont-email.invalid> wrote:

> Usenet is showing major signs of regrowth. Don't feel sad. Billions
> of people use Usenet everyday, it is the world's largest social
> media network.

I don't see the binaries, where I believe it is all still a little
busy, but the text groups are suffereing...

> I am using slrn on Windows and its working fine, haven't tried
> compiling it however (I downloaded it already compiled).

Fair enough. The copy on the slrn web site for Windows was actually
compiled and built in the same manner as described on my web site. It
is my package :)

All the best,

Andrew
You think that's air you're breathing now?
A. non Eyemouse
2020-03-29 21:03:25 UTC
On 17/03/2020 02:50, andrew wrote:
> On 2020-03-15, Usenet Advocate #1337 <***@dont-email.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Usenet is showing major signs of regrowth. Don't feel sad. Billions
>> of people use Usenet everyday, it is the world's largest social
>> media network.
>
> I don't see the binaries, where I believe it is all still a little
> busy, but the text groups are suffereing...
>
>> I am using slrn on Windows and its working fine, haven't tried
>> compiling it however (I downloaded it already compiled).
>
> Fair enough. The copy on the slrn web site for Windows was actually
> compiled and built in the same manner as described on my web site. It
> is my package :)

Good job. Could I suggest you update your instructions (and possibly
binaries) to reflect the latest OpenSSL version (1.1.1e).

--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
andrew
2020-03-31 03:34:07 UTC
On 2020-03-29, A. non Eyemouse <***@work.invalid> wrote:

> Good job. Could I suggest you update your instructions (and possibly
> binaries) to reflect the latest OpenSSL version (1.1.1e).

Good point and I have no excuse not to with most of my country locked
down at the moment. And thanks for having a look :)

Andrew
You think that's air you're breathing now?
A. non Eyemouse
2020-04-02 16:34:02 UTC
On 31/03/2020 04:34, andrew wrote:
> On 2020-03-29, A. non Eyemouse <***@work.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Good job. Could I suggest you update your instructions (and possibly
>> binaries) to reflect the latest OpenSSL version (1.1.1e).
>
> Good point and I have no excuse not to with most of my country locked
> down at the moment. And thanks for having a look :)

I happened to notice as I've being using it to do some win32 and win64
builds of Stunnel, cross-compiling on Ubuntu. BTW it's up to 1.1.1f today.

Stay safe!

--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
andrew
2020-04-04 00:45:23 UTC
On 2020-03-29, A. non Eyemouse <***@work.invalid> wrote:

> Good job. Could I suggest you update your instructions (and possibly
> binaries) to reflect the latest OpenSSL version (1.1.1e).

Lockdown has given me some time on my hands so I have in fact updated
both the instructions and binary download to cover OpenSSL 1.1.1f. I
recompiled slrn snd there were no issues.

While I was there I also updated instructions for msmtp 1.8.7 as well
as posting a Windows binary on the web site. This tested nicely on
slrn and Windows but I have not tested the binary msmtp further under
Windows. I am not sure if Windows users would have a further use for
msmtp?

Anyway all is up to date now and running very, very nicely; thanks for
your input :(

Andrew
You think that's air you're breathing now?
Frank Slootweg
2020-04-04 09:29:54 UTC
andrew <***@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
[...]

> While I was there I also updated instructions for msmtp 1.8.7 as well
> as posting a Windows binary on the web site. This tested nicely on
> slrn and Windows but I have not tested the binary msmtp further under
> Windows. I am not sure if Windows users would have a further use for
> msmtp?

Some time ago, a guy, who should remain nameless, had a need for a
Windows command-line program to send email (MSA), so there is some need.
(He 'needed' (Google, etc.) OAuth2 capability, so msmtp doesn't qualify,
at least not out-of-the-box.)

Personally, I use the Cygwin version of ssmtp in combination with tin
and for other purposes, such as emailing backup logs.

Thanks for your work on msmtp, it might come in handy some day.
andrew
2020-04-04 22:39:05 UTC
On 2020-04-04, Frank Slootweg <***@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>Thanks for your work on msmtp, it might come in handy some day.

I confess that I do not use Windows much, the exceptions being slrn
and the software required to update my GPS. So I have not tested msmtp
on Windows far beyond its use by slrn where it works pefectly. I have
quietly added a README and the required 'Copying' document to the
binary package that I have placed on my web site to make it all a
little more kosher...

Andrew
You think that's air you're breathing now?
Ted Heise
2020-04-04 13:45:14 UTC
On 4 Apr 2020 00:45:23 GMT,
andrew <***@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> On 2020-03-29, A. non Eyemouse <***@work.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Good job. Could I suggest you update your instructions (and
> > possibly binaries) to reflect the latest OpenSSL version
> > (1.1.1e).
>
> Lockdown has given me some time on my hands so I have in fact
> updated both the instructions and binary download to cover
> OpenSSL 1.1.1f. I recompiled slrn snd there were no issues.
>
> While I was there I also updated instructions for msmtp 1.8.7
> as well as posting a Windows binary on the web site. This
> tested nicely on slrn and Windows but I have not tested the
> binary msmtp further under Windows. I am not sure if Windows
> users would have a further use for msmtp?
>
> Anyway all is up to date now and running very, very nicely;

ANdrew, thanks very much for all your efforts on behalf of the
slrn user community! You've been a long and faithful contributor.

Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
Harold Stevens
2020-04-04 16:10:55 UTC
In <***@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise:

> slrn user community! You've been a long and faithful contributor.

+1

Really, it's (wyrd) at att, dotted with net. * DO NOT SPAM IT. *
I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).
andrew
2020-04-04 22:39:04 UTC
On 2020-04-04, Ted Heise <***@panix.com> wrote:

> ANdrew, thanks very much for all your efforts on behalf of the
> slrn user community! You've been a long and faithful contributor.

Thanks for your kind words! It has been a long time now and although I
get a sense of Usenet slowing down I still enjoy being here...

Andrew
--
You think that's air you're breathing now?