How to read my own posts from within slrn?
Juancho
2021-02-05 21:04:13 UTC
Hello.

I've been using Thunderbird for USENET for a long time. In Thunderbird,
I had a local folder named "Local Folders/Sent" where my USENET posts
were saved and where I could browse my own posts at any time.

Now I'm using slrn, and I am aware that it is saving my USENET posts in
mailbox format in the file ~/News/My_Posts

Buy my question is: Is it possible to browse my own USENET posts, which
are in the ~/News/My_Posts, from within slrn itself. How do I open that
mailbox file when running slrn to read its contents?

Thank you very much for your help!

EOT
Lewis
2021-02-05 23:30:40 UTC
In message <dfo0fh-***@intheattic.eternal-september.org> Juancho <***@notreally.com> wrote:
> Hello.

> I've been using Thunderbird for USENET for a long time. In Thunderbird,
> I had a local folder named "Local Folders/Sent" where my USENET posts
> were saved and where I could browse my own posts at any time.

> Now I'm using slrn, and I am aware that it is saving my USENET posts in
> mailbox format in the file ~/News/My_Posts

I'll take your word for it; mine are saved as individual text files.

> Buy my question is: Is it possible to browse my own USENET posts, which
> are in the ~/News/My_Posts, from within slrn itself.

Not as far as I know.

> How do I open that mailbox file when running slrn to read its
> contents?

To read a mailbox file, use a mail program. I like mutt when I need to
access mail from the command line (which I nearly never do).

--
'Where's the gritsucker? And the rock?'
'Ah,' said Vimes, 'you are referring to those representative members of
'I mean the dwarf and the troll,' said Quirke. --Men at Arms
Juancho
2021-02-06 01:54:36 UTC
On 2021-02-05, Lewis <***@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
> In message <dfo0fh-***@intheattic.eternal-september.org> Juancho <***@notreally.com> wrote:
>> Hello.
>
>> I've been using Thunderbird for USENET for a long time. In Thunderbird,
>> I had a local folder named "Local Folders/Sent" where my USENET posts
>> were saved and where I could browse my own posts at any time.
>
>> Now I'm using slrn, and I am aware that it is saving my USENET posts in
>> mailbox format in the file ~/News/My_Posts
>
> I'll take your word for it; mine are saved as individual text files.

Well, you don't need to take my word fot it, please consider this:

$ pwd
/home/juancho/News
$
$ ls -l
total 28
drwx------ 2 juancho juancho 4096 2019-12-02 00:19 Decoded
-rw------- 1 juancho juancho 19324 2021-02-05 22:07 My_Posts
drwx------ 2 juancho juancho 4096 2019-11-23 09:51 postponed
-rw------- 1 juancho juancho 0 2019-12-02 00:07 Score
$
$ file My_Posts
My_Posts: ISO-8859 news text
$
$ grep -A 4 -B 6 My_Posts ~/.slrnrc

% Note: All filenames in this section are relative to HOME unless they start
% with a '/'.

% Filename where articles / email you sent are archived.
% Note: If these are unset, slrn does not keep a copy of outgoing messages.
set save_posts "News/My_Posts"
set save_replies "News/My_Replies"

% File where failed posts are appended. Use "" to disable saving.
set failed_posts_file "dead.letter"
$

Perhaps in your case your slrn saves your posts to individual files in
Maildir format?

>> Buy my question is: Is it possible to browse my own USENET posts, which
>> are in the ~/News/My_Posts, from within slrn itself.
>
> Not as far as I know.
>
>> How do I open that mailbox file when running slrn to read its
>> contents?
>
> To read a mailbox file, use a mail program. I like mutt when I need to
> access mail from the command line (which I nearly never do).

Ok, fair enough. It strikes me as a limitation in functionality,
compared to using Thunderbird for USENET.

In your particular slrn set up, can you read your "save_posts" from
within your own slrn?

EOT
Lewis
2021-02-06 09:31:02 UTC
In message <sf91fh-***@intheattic.eternal-september.org> Juancho <***@notreally.com> wrote:
> On 2021-02-05, Lewis <***@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
>> In message <dfo0fh-***@intheattic.eternal-september.org> Juancho <***@notreally.com> wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>
>>> I've been using Thunderbird for USENET for a long time. In Thunderbird,
>>> I had a local folder named "Local Folders/Sent" where my USENET posts
>>> were saved and where I could browse my own posts at any time.
>>
>>> Now I'm using slrn, and I am aware that it is saving my USENET posts in
>>> mailbox format in the file ~/News/My_Posts
>>
>> I'll take your word for it; mine are saved as individual text files.

> Well, you don't need to take my word fot it, please consider this:

That is not how my messages are saved. I was not doubting that your
setup was different, just pointing out this is not the only way to save
your posts.

#v+
$ cat save_posts.sl
define post_hook () {
variable tm = localtime (_time ());

set_string_variable ("save_posts",
sprintf ("/path/to/newsposts/%d%02d%02d-%02d%02d%02d.news", tm.tm_year + 1900, tm.tm_mon + 1, tm.tm_mday, tm.tm_hour, tm.tm_min, tm.tm_sec));
}

define followup_hook () {
variable tm = localtime (_time ());

set_string_variable ("save_posts",
sprintf ("/path/to/newsposts/%d%02d%02d-%02d%02d%02d.news", tm.tm_year + 1900, tm.tm_mon + 1, tm.tm_mday, tm.tm_hour, tm.tm_min, tm.tm_sec));
}

define post_file_hook () {
variable tm = localtime (_time ());

set_string_variable ("save_posts",
sprintf ("/path/to/newsposts/%d%02d%02d-%02d%02d%02d.news", tm.tm_year + 1900, tm.tm_mon + 1, tm.tm_mday, tm.tm_hour, tm.tm_min, tm.tm_sec));
}
#v-

>>> Buy my question is: Is it possible to browse my own USENET posts, which
>>> are in the ~/News/My_Posts, from within slrn itself.
>>
>> Not as far as I know.
>>
>>> How do I open that mailbox file when running slrn to read its
>>> contents?
>>
>> To read a mailbox file, use a mail program. I like mutt when I need to
>> access mail from the command line (which I nearly never do).

> Ok, fair enough. It strikes me as a limitation in functionality,

Most unix tools do one thing, it's part of the ethos of unix, write a
tool to do one thing and do it well. slrn's one thing is being a news
client, not a mail client.

> In your particular slrn set up, can you read your "save_posts" from
> within your own slrn?

Not as far as I know, but I've also never tried. I have other tools for
reading the messages (which I nearly never do, and the backups are more habit
than useful, but it would take effort at this point to NOT keep them, so...)

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but me and Pippi Longstocking -- I mean, what
would the children look like?"
Juancho
2021-02-06 10:57:49 UTC
On 2021-02-06, Lewis <***@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
> In message <sf91fh-***@intheattic.eternal-september.org> Juancho <***@notreally.com> wrote:

>>> Not as far as I know.

>>> To read a mailbox file, use a mail program. I like mutt when I need to
>>> access mail from the command line (which I nearly never do).
>
>> Ok, fair enough. It strikes me as a limitation in functionality,
>
> Most unix tools do one thing, it's part of the ethos of unix, write a
> tool to do one thing and do it well. slrn's one thing is being a news
> client, not a mail client.

LOL, I can hear the grinding of Poettering's teeth from here.

>> In your particular slrn set up, can you read your "save_posts" from
>> within your own slrn?
>
> Not as far as I know, but I've also never tried. I have other tools for
> reading the messages (which I nearly never do,

Ok, so I followed your advise so that I can read through mutt the archive
of my USENET posts. My mutt connects to my IMAP daemon, which serves my
home's Mail subdirectory, so I did this and it worked:

$ pwd
/home/juancho
$
$ grep mail /etc/c-client.cf
set mail-subdirectory Mail
$
$ cd ~/Mail/
$
$ ln -s ./slrn-posts ~/News/My_Posts

Thanks for your input, it has been valuable.

EOT
andrew
2021-02-06 02:10:14 UTC
On 2021-02-05, Juancho <***@notreally.com> wrote:

> Now I'm using slrn, and I am aware that it is saving my USENET posts in
> mailbox format in the file ~/News/My_Posts

A little sideways of your question: I have not seen this for a while:

Why such an old version of slrn?

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Juancho
2021-02-06 04:25:35 UTC
On 2021-02-06, andrew <***@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-02-05, Juancho <***@notreally.com> wrote:
>
>> Now I'm using slrn, and I am aware that it is saving my USENET posts in
>> mailbox format in the file ~/News/My_Posts
>
> A little sideways of your question: I have not seen this for a while:

> Why such an old version of slrn?

It's the newest slrn version packaged for this retro setup I'm
experimenting with.

Why a retro setup? Well, I like it's simplicity: Lilo instead of Grub,
lprng instead of CUPS, no DBUS evil, sysvinit instead of systemd, no GUI,
and kept to a minimum to be easy to understand and fully manage.

EOT
andrew
2021-02-07 04:53:03 UTC
On 2021-02-06, Juancho <***@notreally.com> wrote:

> Why a retro setup? Well, I like it's simplicity: Lilo instead of Grub,
> lprng instead of CUPS, no DBUS evil, sysvinit instead of systemd, no GUI,
> and kept to a minimum to be easy to understand and fully manage.

You would be happy I think with Slackware (my own home despite what my
own User Agent shows!), still using lilo and no systemd...

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Harold Stevens
2021-02-07 10:05:10 UTC
In <***@skamandros.andrews-corner.org> andrew:

[Snip...]

> You would be happy I think with Slackware (my own home despite what my
> own User Agent shows!), still using lilo and no systemd...

You, too? :)

***@racer:~# cat /etc/*eleas*
NAME=Slackware
VERSION="14.1"
ID=slackware
VERSION_ID=14.1
PRETTY_NAME="Slackware 14.1"
ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:slackware:slackware_linux:14.1"
HOME_URL="http://slackware.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/"
***@racer:~# uname -a
Linux racer 3.10.107 #2 Thu Sep 14 18:34:41 CDT 2017
i686 M II 3x Core/Bus Clock CyrixInstead GNU/Linux
***@racer:~#

Yeah, that's right: a Cyrix CPU. Talk about retro ... :)

Really, it's (wyrd) at att, dotted with net. * DO NOT SPAM IT. *
I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).
Juancho
2021-02-07 12:41:56 UTC
On 2021-02-07, Harold Stevens <***@limbo.localdomain> wrote:
> In <***@skamandros.andrews-corner.org> andrew:
>
> [Snip...]
>
>> You would be happy I think with Slackware (my own home despite what my
>> own User Agent shows!), still using lilo and no systemd...
>
> You, too? :)
>
> ***@racer:~# cat /etc/*eleas*
> NAME=Slackware
> VERSION="14.1"
> ID=slackware
> VERSION_ID=14.1
> PRETTY_NAME="Slackware 14.1"
> ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
> CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:slackware:slackware_linux:14.1"
> HOME_URL="http://slackware.com/"
> SUPPORT_URL="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/"
> BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/"
> ***@racer:~# uname -a
> Linux racer 3.10.107 #2 Thu Sep 14 18:34:41 CDT 2017
> i686 M II 3x Core/Bus Clock CyrixInstead GNU/Linux
> ***@racer:~#
>
> Yeah, that's right: a Cyrix CPU. Talk about retro ... :)

Well, I'm not that far behind...

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | head -7
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 6
model name : Mobile Pentium II
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 363.967

$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 282 277 5 0 11
86
-/+ buffers/cache: 179 103
Swap: 954 56 898

This is a genuine IBM Thinkpad 600E, whose RAM in maxed out. It lives in
a closet somewhere at home.

I last compiled its kernel back in 2006, trouble free service since
then.

$ uname -a
Linux roland 2.4.33.2 #2 dom nov 12 17:09:35 CET 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

$ cat /etc/debian_version
3.1

I love how simple and straight forward this old system is. It's like a
breeze of fresh air.

EOT
andrew
2021-02-07 20:35:53 UTC
On 2021-02-07, Harold Stevens <***@limbo.localdomain> wrote:

> You, too? :)
>
> ***@racer:~# cat /etc/*eleas*
> NAME=Slackware
> VERSION="14.1"

All the best people use Slackware :)

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Lewis
2021-02-07 21:21:16 UTC
In message <***@skamandros.andrews-corner.org> andrew <***@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-02-07, Harold Stevens <***@limbo.localdomain> wrote:

>> You, too? :)
>>
>> ***@racer:~# cat /etc/*eleas*
>> NAME=Slackware
>> VERSION="14.1"

> All the best people use FreeBSD :)

Fixed that for you :)

--
Bishops move diagonally. That's why they often turn up where the
kings don't expect them to be.
Frank Slootweg
2021-02-06 11:10:57 UTC
Juancho <***@notreally.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've been using Thunderbird for USENET for a long time. In Thunderbird,
> I had a local folder named "Local Folders/Sent" where my USENET posts
> were saved and where I could browse my own posts at any time.
>
> Now I'm using slrn, and I am aware that it is saving my USENET posts in
> mailbox format in the file ~/News/My_Posts
>
> Buy my question is: Is it possible to browse my own USENET posts, which
> are in the ~/News/My_Posts, from within slrn itself. How do I open that
> mailbox file when running slrn to read its contents?
>
> Thank you very much for your help!

A different viewpoint which might be of use to you:

I use a different newsreader - tin -, but the situation is similar. My
posts are also in mbox format in the file ~/News/Posted.

When I want to 'browse' my postings, I just open the Posted file in
vim(1) in read-only mode, i.e. 'vim -R ~/News/Posted'.

Why? Because most of the time I don't really want to 'browse', but
want to *find* something which - I think - I've posted about. By using
some 'keyword' - most of the time in a regular expression - I nearly
always find what I'm looking for. At other times I might do a 'grep' on
the Posted file, but most of the time, I use 'vim -R'.

So as Lewis said, you might use an e-mail program to 'browse' your
~/News/My_Posts file, but you probably won't need one.

HTH.
Juancho
2021-02-06 12:39:56 UTC
On 2021-02-06, Frank Slootweg <***@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> I use a different newsreader - tin -, but the situation is similar. My
> posts are also in mbox format in the file ~/News/Posted.
>
> When I want to 'browse' my postings, I just open the Posted file in
> vim(1) in read-only mode, i.e. 'vim -R ~/News/Posted'.

Yeah, but I was looking for a UI a little less raw than that.

> So as Lewis said, you might use an e-mail program to 'browse' your
> ~/News/My_Posts file, but you probably won't need one.

Yes, that's what I've resorted to doing. I works well enough --although
I still feel that slrn should have been able to present to the user his
own old posts in a nice indexed format (like the email reader does with
sent emails).

EOT
Lewis
2021-02-06 14:21:20 UTC
In message <s9f2fh-***@intheattic.eternal-september.org> Juancho <***@notreally.com> wrote:
> On 2021-02-06, Frank Slootweg <***@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> I use a different newsreader - tin -, but the situation is similar. My
>> posts are also in mbox format in the file ~/News/Posted.
>>
>> When I want to 'browse' my postings, I just open the Posted file in
>> vim(1) in read-only mode, i.e. 'vim -R ~/News/Posted'.

> Yeah, but I was looking for a UI a little less raw than that.

>> So as Lewis said, you might use an e-mail program to 'browse' your
>> ~/News/My_Posts file, but you probably won't need one.

> Yes, that's what I've resorted to doing. I works well enough --although
> I still feel that slrn should have been able to present to the user his
> own old posts in a nice indexed format (like the email reader does with
> sent emails).

I suspect it would be possible to write a local newspool that contained
your posts. You can do a whole lot with slang.

--
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but I am
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ted Heise
2021-02-06 22:14:14 UTC
On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 13:39:56 +0100,
Juancho <***@notreally.com> wrote:
> On 2021-02-06, Frank Slootweg <***@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > I use a different newsreader - tin -, but the situation is
> > similar. My posts are also in mbox format in the file
> > ~/News/Posted.
> >
> > When I want to 'browse' my postings, I just open the Posted
> > file in vim(1) in read-only mode, i.e. 'vim -R ~/News/Posted'.
>
> Yeah, but I was looking for a UI a little less raw than that.
>
> > So as Lewis said, you might use an e-mail program to
> > 'browse' your ~/News/My_Posts file, but you probably won't
> > need one.
>
> Yes, that's what I've resorted to doing. I works well enough
> --although I still feel that slrn should have been able to
> present to the user his own old posts in a nice indexed format
> (like the email reader does with sent emails).

I have this in my .slrnrc

set save_directory "mail"

Then each time I save a post this path is prepended to the group
name and the post gets saved to a folder in my mail directory with
the group name. In practice, I shorten the group name, then have
to backspace the end of it.

This puts all my saved posts from a newsgroup into its own mail
folder, and I can easily browse, seach, sort, and so on in PINE.

Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
Juancho
2021-02-07 08:55:15 UTC
On 2021-02-06, Ted Heise <***@panix.com> wrote:

> I have this in my .slrnrc
>
> set save_directory "mail"
>
> Then each time I save a post this path is prepended to the group
> name and the post gets saved to a folder in my mail directory with
> the group name. In practice, I shorten the group name, then have
> to backspace the end of it.
>
> This puts all my saved posts from a newsgroup into its own mail
> folder, and I can easily browse, seach, sort, and so on in PINE.

Very nice setup, although I think I will stick with the one I
described in a previous post, for two reasons: 1) it needs no manual
intervention/thinking, 2) I prefer all my USENET posts archived in a
single "folder" instead of distributed in a separate "folder" for each
newsgroup --I find this way it's easier and faster to browse them to
answer the question: What I've been up to recently in USENET?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your setup.

EOT
Ted Heise
2021-02-07 13:46:23 UTC
On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 09:55:15 +0100,
Juancho <***@notreally.com> wrote:
> On 2021-02-06, Ted Heise <***@panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have this in my .slrnrc
> >
> > set save_directory "mail"
> >
> > Then each time I save a post this path is prepended to the
> > group name and the post gets saved to a folder in my mail
> > directory with the group name. In practice, I shorten the
> > group name, then have to backspace the end of it.
> >
> > This puts all my saved posts from a newsgroup into its own
> > mail folder, and I can easily browse, seach, sort, and so on
> > in PINE.
>
> Very nice setup, although I think I will stick with the one I
> described in a previous post, for two reasons: 1) it needs no
> manual intervention/thinking, 2) I prefer all my USENET posts
> archived in a single "folder" instead of distributed in a
> separate "folder" for each newsgroup --I find this way it's
> easier and faster to browse them to answer the question: What
> I've been up to recently in USENET?

Understand you're happy with you're approach, but I'll just add
that you could put the desired single folder into your .slrnrc and
then only two keystrokes would be needed to save posts there: "o"
and RETURN.

> Anyway, thanks for sharing your setup.

Happy to share, best part of Usenet.

Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
Linux Security
2021-02-08 04:34:44 UTC
On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 22:04:13 +0100, Juancho <***@notreally.com>
wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I've been using Thunderbird for USENET for a long time. In Thunderbird,
>I had a local folder named "Local Folders/Sent" where my USENET posts
>were saved and where I could browse my own posts at any time.
>
>Now I'm using slrn, and I am aware that it is saving my USENET posts in
>mailbox format in the file ~/News/My_Posts
>
>Buy my question is: Is it possible to browse my own USENET posts, which
>are in the ~/News/My_Posts, from within slrn itself. How do I open that
>mailbox file when running slrn to read its contents?
>
>Thank you very much for your help!

The way I do it is that I have installed ALPINE email program on
Linux. ALPINE makes a 'mail' folder in your $HOME directory/folder
then I create a symlink to News/My_Posts in the /home/USERNAME/mail
folder so I can read them in ALPINE.

--
Posted with the Linux Ubuntu 20.10
Operating System Software