slrn: how can I stop slrn automatically ignoring all read articles?
Steve555
2019-06-15 10:54:19 UTC
The default behaviour of slrn is to automatically mark any article
that is read such that it disappears from the list of unread articles.
Is there a way to turn off this marking so that I can see every post
regardless of whether I previously read it?

thanks!
Marcel Logen
2019-06-15 11:16:14 UTC
Post by Steve555
The default behaviour of slrn is to automatically mark any article
that is read such that it disappears from the list of unread articles.
Is there a way to turn off this marking so that I can see every post
regardless of whether I previously read it?
I ususally enter a group with "ESC 1 SPACE". Then you are
asked for the number of articles you want to see (incl. read
articles).

HTH

Additionally:

Single articles can be marked unread, if you hit "u".

In the group list window you can hit "l" (lowercase ell)
and you see all subscribed groups. If you hit "l" again,
you see the groups with unread articles.

These keyboard shortcuts and others are listed, if you hit
"?" in the group list view. (The "?" ist context dependent,
i. e. in the article view there are other keys shown.)

Marcel
--
+-------+ +-+ +---+ +-----+
--+ +---+ +-----+ +---------+ +---+ +----+ +-+
+-----+ +-----+ +------------+ +-+
Keith
2019-06-15 17:29:34 UTC
Post by Steve555
The default behaviour of slrn is to automatically mark any article
that is read such that it disappears from the list of unread articles.
Is there a way to turn off this marking so that I can see every post
regardless of whether I previously read it?
thanks!
Before you leave the newsgroup hit ESCAPE KEY then u
All articles in the newsgroup will then be marked as unread.
For help in slrn while using it press the question mark key
to display help.
--
Posted by http://www.eternal-september.org
Free Usenet access for discussion groups.
J.B. Nicholson
2019-06-18 03:21:52 UTC
Post by Steve555
The default behaviour of slrn is to automatically mark any article
that is read such that it disappears from the list of unread articles.
Is there a way to turn off this marking so that I can see every post
regardless of whether I previously read it?
Put the following in your slrnrc:

set auto_mark_article_as_read 0

Then quit and relaunch slrn.

This setting should let you read an article without marking that
article as read. The default value is 1, which is typical behavior for
a newsreader.

See http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/slrn-manual-6.html#ss6.4 for the
documentation on this setting.
Steve555
2019-06-18 19:05:49 UTC
Post by J.B. Nicholson
Post by Steve555
The default behaviour of slrn is to automatically mark any article
that is read such that it disappears from the list of unread articles.
Is there a way to turn off this marking so that I can see every post
regardless of whether I previously read it?
set auto_mark_article_as_read 0
Then quit and relaunch slrn.
This setting should let you read an article without marking that
article as read. The default value is 1, which is typical behavior for
a newsreader.
See http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/slrn-manual-6.html#ss6.4 for the
documentation on this setting.
Brilliant! I've tried that out and it does exactly what I wanted.
Thanks!
--
Gnd -|o----|- Vcc Hey computer, what's the weather in Sydney?
trig -| 555 |- dschrg $> finger o:***@graph.no|tail -1|espeak
rst -|-----|- cntrl Steve555
Héctor Abreu
2019-09-29 12:49:36 UTC
Post by J.B. Nicholson
Post by Steve555
The default behaviour of slrn is to automatically mark any article
that is read such that it disappears from the list of unread articles.
Is there a way to turn off this marking so that I can see every post
regardless of whether I previously read it?
set auto_mark_article_as_read 0
Then quit and relaunch slrn.
This setting should let you read an article without marking that
article as read. The default value is 1, which is typical behavior for
a newsreader.
See http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/slrn-manual-6.html#ss6.4 for the
documentation on this setting.
Why is the "typical behavior" for a newsreader to assume that a read or
open message must be marked to be deleted? It's not just marked as
"read" but "read, so delete it automatically" as a default.

I started using newsgroups after years of using email lists and forums,
in which it's not typical to assume that a read/open message must be
marked to be deleted automatically. Normally I decide to delete messages
based on the content rather than their open/read status.

I've just set auto_mark_article_as_read 0 and it works great, but I'm
still curious about this logic. Maybe I missed something in the 80s and
90s since I started using newsgroups just a couple of years ago.
Héctor Abreu
Mike Yetto
2019-09-29 16:27:10 UTC
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by Héctor Abreu
Why is the "typical behavior" for a newsreader to assume that a read or
open message must be marked to be deleted? It's not just marked as
"read" but "read, so delete it automatically" as a default.
Let me address slrn and other online readers as a start.
You are not deleting anything as the storage for the articles is
on the NNTP server. You are marking it as read and only
viewing/downloading unread articles, leaving the read ones alone.
Post by Héctor Abreu
I started using newsgroups after years of using email lists and forums,
in which it's not typical to assume that a read/open message must be
marked to be deleted automatically. Normally I decide to delete messages
based on the content rather than their open/read status.
If you switch to an offline reader or a caching proxy for news
articles then the articles will be kept on your system and there
will be no reason to download all articles every time you open
any specific group. With an online reader connected directly to a
remote NNTP server you do not want all articles downloaded with that
level of activity.
Post by Héctor Abreu
I've just set auto_mark_article_as_read 0 and it works great, but I'm
still curious about this logic. Maybe I missed something in the 80s and
90s since I started using newsgroups just a couple of years ago.
If you are using a local proxy/server such as Leafnode then
continue with that solution. With a direct connection you will
notice a slowdown as more articles are kept on the server and
marked as unread by your client.

At that point you can come back here and ask why slrn or your
server are so slow, at which time you will be given a similar
answer to this one.

Mike "Usenet is not a mailing list" Yetto
--
"There’s nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way
for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent
- Dr. Steven Novella
Lewis
2019-09-29 19:18:46 UTC
Post by Héctor Abreu
Post by J.B. Nicholson
Post by Steve555
The default behaviour of slrn is to automatically mark any article
that is read such that it disappears from the list of unread articles.
Is there a way to turn off this marking so that I can see every post
regardless of whether I previously read it?
set auto_mark_article_as_read 0
Then quit and relaunch slrn.
This setting should let you read an article without marking that
article as read. The default value is 1, which is typical behavior for
a newsreader.
See http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/slrn-manual-6.html#ss6.4 for the
documentation on this setting.
Why is the "typical behavior" for a newsreader to assume that a read or
open message must be marked to be deleted? It's not just marked as
"read" but "read, so delete it automatically" as a default.
There are many many news posts and no one wants to keep them all.
Post by Héctor Abreu
I started using newsgroups after years of using email lists and forums,
in which it's not typical to assume that a read/open message must be
marked to be deleted automatically. Normally I decide to delete messages
based on the content rather than their open/read status.
Email is to YOU. News posts are not.
Post by Héctor Abreu
I've just set auto_mark_article_as_read 0 and it works great, but I'm
still curious about this logic. Maybe I missed something in the 80s and
90s since I started using newsgroups just a couple of years ago.
It was not until the rise of Internet piracy on USENET that messages
started being kept for long periods of time. News spools expired articles
after a few weeks, or maybe months. No reader kept local copies of
messages, so messages were not marked to be deleted, they were simply
deleted out of your list of unread messages.

My news reader still connects to a news server and I read posts from
that server. I am not downloading every message. Or any messages.
--
Don't just *do* something: *sit* there!