Anyone tried narkive.com ever?!
Evgenii Sputnik
2013-01-28 07:30:09 UTC
It's newsreader in cloud.
Just on their website.

Probably like Google Groups.
But better!
[EvgeniiSputnik] [***@gmail.com] ====
[skype: elsputn] == Individual.NET == 10EUR ==
Use Android and iPhone Big-8 newsgroups please:
comp.mobile.android misc.phone.mobile.iphone ==
comp.* humanities.* misc.* news.* rec.* sci.* =
soc.* talk.* is the best in all UseNet.... ====
Speak Esperanto most popular language in the ==
world in soc.culture.esperanto newsgroup.... ==
Adam H. Kerman
2013-01-28 17:19:35 UTC
I'm confused as to what a newsreader has to do with a Web site.
VanguardLH
2013-01-28 19:39:33 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
It's newsreader in cloud. Just on their website. Probably like Google
Groups. But better!
I'm confused as to what a newsreader has to do with a Web site.
They're pretending a leeching HTTP-to-NNTP gateway is a newsreader.
Forums have been doing this for a long time to either pretend they have
a larger audience by latching onto Usenet or as a webnews-for-boobs
interface (i.e., users who can barely use a web browser and will never
figure out how to configure or use an NNTP client). There are some NSPs
(newsgroups service providers), even commercial ones, who also provide a
webnews-for-boobs interface. Lots of users who first learned the
Internet via a web browser figure that's the only means to access the
sources out there. They don't know the difference between Net and Web.
Adam H. Kerman
I wanted Our Dear Sockpuppet to explain why he posted this off topic article.
cipher
2013-01-30 23:48:39 UTC
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:39:33 -0600, VanguardLH Inscribed upon the Golden
Post by VanguardLH
Post by Adam H. Kerman
It's newsreader in cloud. Just on their website. Probably like Google
Groups. But better!
I'm confused as to what a newsreader has to do with a Web site.
They're pretending a leeching HTTP-to-NNTP gateway is a newsreader.
Forums have been doing this for a long time to either pretend they have
a larger audience by latching onto Usenet or as a webnews-for-boobs
interface (i.e., users who can barely use a web browser and will never
figure out how to configure or use an NNTP client). There are some NSPs
(newsgroups service providers), even commercial ones, who also provide a
webnews-for-boobs interface. Lots of users who first learned the
Internet via a web browser figure that's the only means to access the
sources out there. They don't know the difference between Net and Web.
Same folks who never heard of Gopher, wouldn't know what to do with a
shell account, can't do FTP without a browser and think telnet is an old
song by the Ventures...

What we have here is an advertisement.. Garden variety...
)\ ( ) /( Cipher/Proud Member, Netscum Alumni Association
)-(0^^0)-( Bungmunch U./AHM Memorial Institute of ***@x0r1n6/Dean
)/ \\// \( Colonel/1st Virginia Volunteers/CeSium Brigade
(oo) Registered Linux User #556617
/ ~~ \ Empire of APDD/#6-5p07/VLNOC Cohort #1407
***@o ***@o Keeper of the alt.CeSium FAQ
VanguardLH
2013-01-31 01:53:11 UTC
Post by VanguardLH
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
When I first got cable Internet from a company named CableOne, they gave
me a shell account. I could then fix problems with my mailbox rather
than having to call in to get a "tech" to reset my account. If it were
just a problem with a corrupted e-mail their server couldn't handle, I
could telnet in and use the 'mail' command to delete that item. Now
you're stuck hoping you can use their webmail client for when their POP
server won't deliver to your local POP client. I could so some of my
own maintenance using the shell. After Comcast bought out CableOne, the
shell disappeared.
Post by cipher
What we have here is an advertisement.. Garden variety...
That's what I figured was the real intention of the bogus "info" post.
Tis similar to the spammer that posts "Can't get onto this site" just to
drive traffic to the site.
cipher
2013-02-01 03:42:53 UTC
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 19:53:11 -0600, VanguardLH Inscribed upon the Golden
Post by VanguardLH
When I first got cable Internet from a company named CableOne, they gave
me a shell account. I could then fix problems with my mailbox rather
than having to call in to get a "tech" to reset my account. If it were
just a problem with a corrupted e-mail their server couldn't handle, I
could telnet in and use the 'mail' command to delete that item. Now
you're stuck hoping you can use their webmail client for when their POP
server won't deliver to your local POP client. I could so some of my
own maintenance using the shell. After Comcast bought out CableOne, the
shell disappeared.
Yeah, and Usenet all but gone from the big ISPs and many universities.
Sad...

I have a shell account with sdf.org, you may want to check them out, free
for limited access, $32/year gets you the keys to to the car :-)

Speaking of old times, I recall fondly writing JCL by day for the
University, but could not compile while the user access front end was
active. At home, on a Mac OS9, I would telnet in (tn3270) and compile
after 7:00PM. If it abended, it was all night looking for my error,
usually a typo. We used CICS to manages administrative access before we
switched everything over to Novell/Windows servers. We used Pegasus mail
then, but switched over to the abomination known as Lotus Notes...
MartinS
2013-02-01 18:05:33 UTC
Post by cipher
Post by VanguardLH
[...]
Whatever happened to Lotus?
Martin S
VanguardLH
2013-02-01 19:09:28 UTC
Post by MartinS
Whatever happened to Lotus?
Sun acquired OpenOffice (OO). Sun got acquired by Oracle. Oracle
decided OO wasn't what they wanted to support as a free product so they
dumped, er, donated OO onto the Apache Software Foundation (ASF). There
OO sat for a year awaiting removal from Incubation status (determines if
ASF is going to expend any resources on supporting a product in
incubation status). That Oracle got OpenOffice was reason enough to
fork off the LibreOffice product.

IBM is a platinum sponsor of ASF. They are influencing development of
OO so it meets their requirements as a replacement to their discontinued
Lotus Symphony product.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7wperx3

Uh huh, despite that IBM previously dumped, er, donated Lotus Symphony
onto ASF and is committed to going forward with an IBM-oriented Apache
OO derivative.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248849/coming_soon_an_ibm_edition_of_apache_openoffice.html
MartinS
Martin S
cipher
2013-02-01 19:21:04 UTC
On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:05:33 -0500, MartinS Inscribed upon the Golden
Post by MartinS
Whatever happened to Lotus?
Looks like they're still around...

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/ls/lsndad/?S_CMP=rnav
MartinS
2013-02-01 23:35:36 UTC
Post by cipher
Post by MartinS
Whatever happened to Lotus?
Looks like they're still around...
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/ls/lsndad/?S_CMP=rnav
IBM always did go its own way.
Martin S
Pepi
2013-02-02 23:21:40 UTC
Post by VanguardLH
own maintenance using the shell. After Comcast bought out CableOne, the
shell disappeared.
...and I bet ya they run that bloated Redmondian virus nowadays.
--
___ _
-(o o)----/_/_--_--.---------------------------
-\V V/--------/-------Killfile-a-google-grouper
Mike Yetto
2013-01-31 12:50:41 UTC
telnet is an old song by the Ventures...
Points awarded.

Mike "walk, don't run, to redeem them" Yetto
In practice they are not.
Ralph Fox
2013-01-28 17:51:25 UTC
Subject: Anyone tried narkive.com ever?!
It's newsreader in cloud.
Just on their website.
http://comp.internet.services.google.narkive.com/BYVXQRhv/alternatives-to-google-groups
Probably like Google Groups.
But better!
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Bert
2013-01-28 20:02:52 UTC
Post by Evgenii Sputnik
Probably like Google Groups.
But better!
They'd have to work very hard to be worse, but I reserve judgement.
Maybe they're very industrious.
***@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN
VanguardLH
2013-01-28 20:43:40 UTC
Post by Evgenii Sputnik
It's newsreader in cloud.
Just on their website.
Probably like Google Groups.
But better!
Even if you permit on-domain scripts to execute, narkive.com is useless
unless you also permit off-domain scripts to execute (from nkve.net).
narkive.com's registrant is in Italy. nkve.net's registrant is in
France. narkive.com = 85.17.190.156 whose geolocation is Haarlem,
Netherlands (and looks to be webhosted at LeaseWeb, Amsterdam).
nkve.net has no DNS record (IP lookup fails). That server can't be
found; however, s.nkve.net host can be found which has 8 IP addresses
for hosting at cloudfront.net (Seattle, WA USA). If you don't permit
OFF-domain scripts to execute (that is, you allows scripts from the
domain that delivered the web page but not elsewhere) then narkive.com
won't function.

When I search on "news.software.readers", I get a list of articles that
are 8-9 years old. Only 1 page's worth of listings (the oldest 50
articles) are shown. Then I notice in light gray (low contrast):

Searching for "news.software.readers" on every newsgroup in English

So it didn't take me to that newsgroup. It's looking for articles that
contain that string within them while listing the oldest first from 9
years ago. There is no Sort Order button so I can see the latest
(newest) ones first. If I change the search criteria to show articles
within the last 1 year, there are no results found.

The down-arrow only shows what it deems are the most popular newsgroups
(by what criteria is unknown). So there is no means of selecting a
particular newsgroup to read just the articles there.

So far, this archive sucks.

Maybe I have to login to get more usability features. Obviously I'm not
trusting this site with my real e-mail address so I use an alias. You
have to divulge a valid e-mail address to login because you have to get
their verification e-mail. No e-mail after 15 minutes. Resent their
verification e-mail. No e-mail after another 15 minutes. Nope, not an
issue with spam filter (the alias logs its usage and it didn't get
used). Despite claiming they would send a verification e-mail in which
I had to click a link to validate my account to login, they already
logged me in. Nope, no additional functionality.

The only way to pick a newsgroup is if it happened to be one of the
"popular" ones in the drop-down list. A thread is flat viewed. There
is no indentation to see who said what to whom as with Google Groups,
especially in the old view format for Google Groups. This is typical of
what you see in forums that leech from Usenet using an HTTP-to-NNTP
gateway: no thread hierarchy to see subthreading.

So far, this archive still sucks.

So, just what is so great about narkive over Google Groups? Qualify
your declaration.

<snipped the overly long [and spam] signature>
Ralph Fox
2013-01-29 08:42:06 UTC
Post by VanguardLH
nkve.net has no DNS record (IP lookup fails). That server can't be
found;
"nkve.net" does have an DNS "SOA" record  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DNS_record_types>.
"nkve.net" itself does not need an IP address because it
is not a server. It is a domain name.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
VanguardLH
2013-01-29 14:52:49 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by VanguardLH
nkve.net has no DNS record (IP lookup fails). That server can't be
found;
"nkve.net" does have an DNS "SOA" record  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DNS_record_types>.
"nkve.net" itself does not need an IP address because it
is not a server. It is a domain name.
Um, what do you call a host that delivers files, like scripts? The "s"
hostname there has a CNAME record to d2k2y7yrqmw9wy.cloudfront.net. So
they're using an alias to a *different* domain & host over there.
Ralph Fox
2013-01-30 18:36:07 UTC
Post by VanguardLH
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by VanguardLH
nkve.net has no DNS record (IP lookup fails). That server can't be
found;
"nkve.net" does have an DNS "SOA" record  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DNS_record_types>.
"nkve.net" itself does not need an IP address because it
is not a server. It is a domain name.
Um, what do you call a host that delivers files, like scripts? The "s"
hostname there has a CNAME record to d2k2y7yrqmw9wy.cloudfront.net. So
they're using an alias to a *different* domain & host over there.
Subdomains and parent domains are not always the same host/server.
In this case, they are not the same.

The scripts are delivered by a host/server on the subdomain "s.nkve.net".
There is no host/server on the parent domain "nkve.net".
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Nil
2013-01-28 23:05:42 UTC
Post by Evgenii Sputnik
It's newsreader in cloud.
Just on their website.
Probably like Google Groups.
But better!
I've been using it a little bit to read some groups on my Kindle Fire,
as there's no decent newsreader for that device.

I'd say it's just slightly better than Google Groups in some ways,
worse in others. There's no tree view, it's loaded to the gills with
ads, and searching is limited and clumsy.

OTOH, Google has a tree view, but it doesn't work right if the thread
gets too big. Its search is unreliable and inaccurate.

The only reason I use Narkive is that it carries a couple of groups
that Google doesn't.
greymausg
2013-02-03 17:36:20 UTC
Post by Evgenii Sputnik
It's newsreader in cloud.
Just on their website.
Probably like Google Groups.
But better!
This seems to be an advertisement for this site.
--
maus
.
w***@gmail.com
2015-12-25 09:08:18 UTC
I just tried Narkive tonight... so far I don't see much promise, posts I made do not show up on Google Groups and may not show up anywhere on Usenet, not sure if they do or not yet.
dunno
2015-12-26 03:55:11 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by Evgenii Sputnik
It's newsreader in cloud.
Just on their website.
Probably like Google Groups.
But better!
I just tried Narkive tonight... so far I don't see much promise, posts I
made do not show up on Google Groups and may not show up anywhere on
Usenet, not sure if they do or not yet.
I see posts from Narkive on mixmin server. It seems that it's mostly used
to post to some certain groups.
dunno
j***@gmail.com
2019-11-09 11:27:35 UTC
Hello

I have strong and profitable program to pay off your USA and Canada debts.

I can fly to the USA or Canada to meet you for face to face meeting you.

I can get a new issued credit card directly from the credit card company however you need to bring me loading jobs and the new is yours as a bonus.The new issued in your name doesn't require your a ssn or any personal details and is not based on your credit score.
Contact me and you will see proof
ONLY FOR USA RESIDENT

Contact me to discuss the deal.+212 698 837870

Thanks
MartinS
2019-11-18 02:10:37 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Hello
I have strong and profitable program to pay off your USA and Canada debts.
I can fly to the USA or Canada to meet you for face to face meeting you.
I can get a new issued credit card directly from the credit card
company however you need to bring me loading jobs and the new is yours
as a bonus.The new issued in your name doesn't require your a ssn or
any personal details and is not based on your credit score. Contact me
and you will see proof ONLY FOR USA RESIDENT
Contact me to discuss the deal.+212 698 837870
Thanks
Seen any flying pigs around Morocco?

https://countrycode.org/morocco
--