Xnews problem
KenK
2020-07-23 17:59:49 UTC
One of the many Xnews newsgroups has recently begun retrieving thousands of
message headers instead of just those unread.It shows a window that lists
the number of messages to be retrieved. I have to manually change that
figure to the correct number. An annoyance.

Anyone guess what changed? How I can fix it? Using XP if it matters.

I tried Google with no success.

TIA
Kerr-Mudd,John
2020-07-24 10:51:26 UTC
Post by KenK
One of the many Xnews newsgroups has recently begun retrieving
thousands of message headers instead of just those unread.It shows a
window that lists the number of messages to be retrieved. I have to
manually change that figure to the correct number. An annoyance.
Anyone guess what changed? How I can fix it? Using XP if it matters.
I've had that happen; I suspect a corruption in a local file; I just left
it to re-DL the headers and then marked 'em as read.
Post by KenK
I tried Google with no success.
TIA
YW
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Ammammata
2020-07-28 13:28:54 UTC
Il giorno Fri 24 Jul 2020 12:51:26p, *Kerr-Mudd,John* ha inviato su
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by KenK
One of the many Xnews newsgroups has recently begun retrieving
thousands of message headers instead of just those unread.It shows a
window that lists the number of messages to be retrieved. I have to
manually change that figure to the correct number. An annoyance.
Anyone guess what changed? How I can fix it? Using XP if it matters.
I've had that happen; I suspect a corruption in a local file; I just
left it to re-DL the headers and then marked 'em as read.
yes, I confirm, sometimes it happens and xnews gets all messages from
scratch, losing all the previous folders... and scores as well :/
--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
........... [ al lavoro ] ...........
Nil
2020-08-09 01:56:24 UTC
Post by KenK
One of the many Xnews newsgroups has recently begun retrieving
thousands of message headers instead of just those unread.It shows
a window that lists the number of messages to be retrieved. I have
to manually change that figure to the correct number. An
annoyance.
Anyone guess what changed? How I can fix it? Using XP if it
matters.
I tried Google with no success.
I don't recall the specifics, but I remember that earlier versions of
Xnews had a limit on how many article numbers it could store, due to
the author's data number type. The result was that groups with very
many articles would lose track after a certain amount. A fixed version
was released. It's classified as an alpha or beta, but I can assure you
that it works just fine. It's version 2006.08.24
Ammammata
2020-08-10 09:39:13 UTC
Il giorno Sun 09 Aug 2020 03:56:24a, *Nil* ha inviato su
Post by Nil
It's version 2006.08.24
I'm running ??.01:30

yes, two question marks: ??
--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
........... [ al lavoro ] ...........
Mike Dee
2020-09-10 03:40:23 UTC
Post by Ammammata
Il giorno Sun 09 Aug 2020 03:56:24a, *Nil* ha inviato su
Post by Nil
It's version 2006.08.24
I'm running ??.01:30
yes, two question marks: ??
Replying to an old post, but this may be of use to someone:

Version ??.01:30 is from 2005 or earlier.

Following (Web Archive) link is an Xnews changlog dating from 2009
- the final released "Test" version, down to before the version you
were posting from.

%%------------------------------
Specifically for the comments:

2005.09.25:
[...]
x Per Blinky request, no more ?? in version :)

??.01.30:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100106091320/http://xnews.newsguy.com/test/change.txt

I use version 2009.05.01 the final "test" version:
http://web.archive.org/web/20100109043442/http://xnews.newsguy.com:80/test

The Web Archive download is labelled "TEST-64.ZIP" it is not 64bit
- this is a test version to support > 2^31 article numbers.

And here's a last known Xnews home page (Web Archive):
http://web.archive.org/web/20141227184804/http://xnews.newsguy.com/
--
dee