Xnews, possible to block domains?
Boris
2021-03-10 01:27:54 UTC
alt.comp.os.windows-10 has had an infusion of tremendous amounts of spam
coming from the domain "netfront.net".

In Thunderbird, I've tried to delete or move anything from that domain
by customizing a message filter (Injection-Info), but I can't get it to
work properly. It seems to only work on new messages, not on the
thousands that have been posted before I made this filter. I've given
up on being able to get the filter working in Thunderbird.

Is there a way to do the above in Xnews? To block or move (to trash)?
Ralph Fox
2021-03-10 06:41:45 UTC
Subject: Xnews, possible to block domains?
The Usenet Improvement Project has a page showing how to block the
googlegroups domain in Xnews. So yes, it appears possible to block
domains in Xnews.

<http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/filters_ex1.html>
alt.comp.os.windows-10 has had an infusion of tremendous amounts of spam
coming from the domain "netfront.net".
In Thunderbird, I've tried to delete or move anything from that domain
by customizing a message filter (Injection-Info), but I can't get it to
work properly. It seems to only work on new messages, not on the
thousands that have been posted before I made this filter. I've given
up on being able to get the filter working in Thunderbird.
Try it with a filter on Message-ID instead of Injection-Info.

"Injection-Info:" is not an overview header, which means the server
does not normally provide this header field when headers are downloaded.

If one has a filter on "Injection-Info:" when downloading headers,
Thunderbird can take an extra step to *also* download the "Injection-Info:"
header for the filter to use. But the "Injection-Info:" header is not
saved and will not be available for offline filtering.
Is there a way to do the above in Xnews? To block or move (to trash)?
See the Usenet Improvement Project's example for Xnews.
That example is for blocking the googlegroups domain. Modify the
example for the domain you wish to block.

<http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/filters_ex1.html>
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Boris
2021-03-10 22:25:01 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
[...]
I was able to get both of these filters to work:
[Injection-Info][contains][adenine.netfront.net], and
[Message-I][contains][adenine.netfront.net]

but when I instructed either of the two headers above to contain
[netfront.net}, there was no reaction.
Post by Ralph Fox
Is there a way to do the above in Xnews? To block or move (to trash)?
See the Usenet Improvement Project's example for Xnews.
That example is for blocking the googlegroups domain. Modify the
example for the domain you wish to block.
<http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/filters_ex1.html>
Thanks for that. I'm reviewing the Xnews manual to see how to apply the
filter setup in that link.
Mike Dee
2021-03-19 00:24:41 UTC
Post by Boris
[Injection-Info][contains][adenine.netfront.net], and
[Message-I][contains][adenine.netfront.net]
but when I instructed either of the two headers above to contain
[netfront.net}, there was no reaction.
In Xnews Score.ini, I applied:

[^alt\.comp\.os\.windows-10$]
Score:: -9999

And that got rid of all posts by the flooder in netfront and when it
changed to aioe in the following days.

Maybe its sense of "fun" has worn off by now.
dee
MajorLanGod
2021-03-19 02:09:44 UTC
Post by Mike Dee
Post by Boris
[Injection-Info][contains][adenine.netfront.net], and
[Message-I][contains][adenine.netfront.net]
but when I instructed either of the two headers above to contain
[netfront.net}, there was no reaction.
[^alt\.comp\.os\.windows-10$]
Score:: -9999
And that got rid of all posts by the flooder in netfront and when it
changed to aioe in the following days.
Maybe its sense of "fun" has worn off by now.
What is the purpose of the line in square brackets? I am assuming it is
the newsgroup it is to act on. Is it possible to have a single score
entry work on more than one newsgroup?
Guy
2021-03-19 16:39:53 UTC
Post by MajorLanGod
Is it possible to have a single score
entry work on more than one newsgroup?
groups section headers are regular expressions.
please see scoring.txt which should be included with the distribution.
--
Xnews Icon Patcher Files
<http://guysalias.heliohost.org/xnews-icon-patchers/>
s|b
2021-03-23 17:01:15 UTC
Post by Mike Dee
Maybe its sense of "fun" has worn off by now.
I think this has more to do with the fact that Aioe's news admin has
temporary blocked all crosspostings within alt.*.
--
s|b