configure slrn to save into IMAP structure
Ted Heise
2020-06-14 13:21:23 UTC
Hi all,

I've used slrn for news well over 20 years, and couldn't be
happier with it. Many thanks to the devlopers and maintainers!

For that same period, I've also used PINE for mail. It's been my
long custom to save Usenet mesaages into my mail archive, and I've
had "set save_directory "mail"" in my .slrnc. "mail" is a folder
in my user directory that's the default location for PINE to store
its messages. In that folder, I have subfolders for topics, and
when saving from slrn I just type the relevant (short) folder name
onto the location that slrn offers by default.

A couple of years ag I shut down my own server, and signed up for
a shell account on panix. I love it, except that in order to
access my e-mail from other locations/applications (e.g., Outlook)
it seems I need to use a folder structure that's *not* within my
user space. I think this may be associated with the fact that
it's also accessible via a webmail application, and believe the
files are on a different server (or a different area of the same
server, perhaps).

Is there a way to configure slrn to save posts into this other
area? Currently, I have PINE configured to use "{localhost}INBOX"
for its inbox, and mail collections are set to "INBOX." (with the
dot). I get the sense that INBOX is a system wide variable, but
could be wrong. At least I don't see it in my .profile (using
bash, and don't have a user .bashrc), nor does anything show when
I query my environment with "set"

I did a little searching of the web for this, but can't find
anything relevant. If anyone here has suggestions, I would be
very grateful to receive them!
Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
Ted Heise
2020-06-14 17:59:02 UTC
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 13:21:23 +0000 (UTC),
Post by Ted Heise
[...]
Okay, I poked around in my shell account, and found that the
messages are in fact stored in my user area (/net/u/5/t/theise)
but the format is different. If I understand it correctly, it's
now maildir (with each message as its own file), instead of the
mbox (?) format used of old (with each folder being a single file
and new messages just appended to its end).

So I'm not sure there's a way to do what I want, and will probably
have to keep doing what I'm doing now (saving from slrn to the
corresponding folders in mail, then periodically using PINE to
move them from the mbox stores to the maildir stores).

If anyone knows of tools to do this, other approaches, or things
I've just misunderstood, please whack me with the clue stick.
Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
Lewis
2020-06-15 03:15:14 UTC
Post by Ted Heise
[...]
You can write files into maildir, it is actually easier to so so than
with mbox. You may have to issue a command to your MDA/LDA to re-index
the messages. You will need to make sure the files you have have
compliant headers. How you force your MDA/LDA to reindex varies based on
when software manages your mail.
Post by Ted Heise
If anyone knows of tools to do this, other approaches, or things
I've just misunderstood, please whack me with the clue stick.
The best thing to do is to make a specific maildir folder (INBOX.nntp or
something) for these files.
A Clean House Is A Sign Of A Misspent Life
Ted Heise
2020-06-16 00:37:36 UTC
Post by Ted Heise
If anyone knows of tools to do this, other approaches, or
things I've just misunderstood, please whack me with the clue
stick.
The best thing to do is to make a specific maildir folder
(INBOX.nntp or something) for these files.
THank you for this, Lewis.
Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
J.B. Nicholson
2020-06-14 21:30:56 UTC
Post by Ted Heise
A couple of years ag I shut down my own server, and signed up for
a shell account on panix. I love it, except that in order to
access my e-mail from other locations/applications (e.g., Outlook)
it seems I need to use a folder structure that's *not* within my
user space. I think this may be associated with the fact that
it's also accessible via a webmail application, and believe the
files are on a different server (or a different area of the same
server, perhaps).
Is there a way to configure slrn to save posts into this other
area?
Not directly -- configuring slrn to save to some other system is a
part of what you'd need to do, but not the entirety of the job.

You would have to employ something else as well because slrn posts
articles to a news server via NNTP or submitting posts via slrnpull
(and slrnpull posts to a news server via NNTP). slrn doesn't talk to a
remote server to do anything but posting articles via NNTP, and your
maildir mail server on Panix likely won't understand NNTP.

I suggest that you:

* use something to mount the maildir spool hierarchy for your Panix
email account locally on your computer where you run slrn. Perhaps
SMB or NFS will help you here. I don't know what Panix offers for
that (nor do I know if they offer this remote mounting one's email
folders at all) so you should ask Panix about this. In the end, this
will give you a local directory that will let you read your email as
though it were stored locally.

* run a slrn macro to have slrn read the appropriate maildir folder,
determine a filename to save a message to, and store that news
message in the proper format. Then you'd set the aforementioned
SMB/NFS-mounted folder as the default saving folder for slrn, and
this macro would do the saving work. If slrn's default saving format
already works fine for maildir files, then maybe you don't need a
slrn macro at all to do this job.

This should let your email client read the messages you save with
slrn.
Ted Heise
2020-06-16 00:36:16 UTC
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 21:30:56 -0000 (UTC),
Post by J.B. Nicholson
Post by Ted Heise
[...]
Thanks very much, J. B.
--