slrn, vim, and multi code emojis
Lewis
2019-09-03 12:22:21 UTC
vim and slrn get along very will with UTF-8 characters in general, but
not with the newer emojis that use the form emoji+color

🤡 is fine

🤞🏼messes up the spacing for the rest of the line as the cursor is now
three characters ahead of where you are typing. You have to account for
the extra invisible spaces when going back to edit a line with a color
coded emoji on it as well.

The above is 🤞+🏼 (and there may be a zero-space-joiner in there too).

Anything I can do about this? Is it a vim thing (probably) or an slrn
thing or maybe a terminal thing?

I am mostly on OS X with Terminal, but I see the same behavior on
FreeBSD 11.2 running the same versions of slrn and vim.
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
andrew
2019-09-04 22:34:31 UTC
Post by Lewis
vim and slrn get along very will with UTF-8 characters in general, but
not with the newer emojis that use the form emoji+color
🤡 is fine
Not here on slrn under Windows, I see the question marks above...
Post by Lewis
🤞🏼messes up the spacing for the rest of the line as the cursor is now
three characters ahead of where you are typing. You have to account
for the extra invisible spaces when going back to edit a line with a
color coded emoji on it as well.
The above is 🤞+🏼 (and there may be a zero-space-joiner in there too).
And similar problem here.
Post by Lewis
Anything I can do about this? Is it a vim thing (probably) or an slrn
thing or maybe a terminal thing?
I am mostly on OS X with Terminal, but I see the same behavior on
FreeBSD 11.2 running the same versions of slrn and vim.
I tested this under Slackware + slrn with the same result, I would be
interested to hear a resolution of this issue as well...

Andrew
You think that's air you're breathing now?
Lewis
2019-09-05 00:06:25 UTC
Post by andrew
Post by Lewis
vim and slrn get along very will with UTF-8 characters in general, but
not with the newer emojis that use the form emoji+color
🤡 is fine
Not here on slrn under Windows, I see the question marks above...
Well, yeah, Windows... I've never had windows work well with multi-byte
UTF-8.
Post by Lewis
Anything I can do about this? Is it a vim thing (probably) or an slrn
thing or maybe a terminal thing?
I am mostly on OS X with Terminal, but I see the same behavior on
FreeBSD 11.2 running the same versions of slrn and vim.
I tested this under Slackware + slrn with the same result, I would be
interested to hear a resolution of this issue as well...
Haven't found anything so far.
--
In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the
silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King, Jr
andrew
2019-09-04 22:55:25 UTC
["Followup-To:" header set to news.software.readers.]
Post by Lewis
vim and slrn get along very will with UTF-8 characters in general, but
not with the newer emojis that use the form emoji+color
🤡 is fine
🤞🏼messes up the spacing for the rest of the line as the cursor is now
three characters ahead of where you are typing. You have to account for
the extra invisible spaces when going back to edit a line with a color
coded emoji on it as well.
The above is 🤞+🏼 (and there may be a zero-space-joiner in there too).
I had some dim memories of this all being font related and certainly I
seem to have had some success on my Slackware slrn, using Sakura as a
terminal, after installing the noto-emoji fonts.

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?