[slrn] reddit nntp gateway
Tavis Ormandy
2021-02-01 18:02:45 UTC
I spent this weekend trying to get a reddit nntp gateway working, maybe
some of the regulars here might be interested.

It's super experimental, and I've only tested it with slrn, but if you
don't mind a few bugs it does basically work! If you're a c programmer
and usenet fan, would appreciate any contributors!

There are some screenshots here:

https://github.com/taviso/nntpit#nntpit

Tavis.
--
_o) $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
/\\ _o) _o) $ finger ***@sdf.org
_\_V _( ) _( ) @taviso
hey joe
Whoa, very cool. Nice work!
"J.B. Wood"
2021-02-01 23:40:42 UTC
Post by Tavis Ormandy
I spent this weekend trying to get a reddit nntp gateway working
What is a "reddit nntp gateway"
J. B. Wood e-mail: ***@hotmail.com
Tavis Ormandy
2021-02-02 05:15:58 UTC
Post by "J.B. Wood"
What is a "reddit nntp gateway"
Reddit is a very large discussion site. The discussions are organized
into different groups called subreddits.

An nntp gateway makes those discussions look like newsgroups, so you can
access them with a news reader.

If you read news.software.readers, then you probably quite like your
newsreader, so this would give you more news to read with it :)

Tavis.
--
_o) $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
/\\ _o) _o) $ finger ***@sdf.org
_\_V _( ) _( ) @taviso
Lis Khittan
2021-02-05 19:01:59 UTC
Great work! Thank you.
Manifest0
2021-02-24 21:26:59 UTC
Post by Tavis Ormandy
I spent this weekend trying to get a reddit nntp gateway working
Cool project :-)

Although i would prefer having the reddit posts posted to a news server,
than just having a nntp client interface.
Grant Taylor
2021-02-24 22:25:39 UTC
Post by Manifest0
Cool project :-)
Agreed.
Post by Manifest0
Although i would prefer having the reddit posts posted to a news
server, than just having a nntp client interface.
Would something like the various utilities to suck news from one server
(Reddit) and post them to another server suffice?
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Eli the Bearded
2021-02-24 23:31:52 UTC
Post by Grant Taylor
Post by Manifest0
Although i would prefer having the reddit posts posted to a news
server, than just having a nntp client interface.
Would something like the various utilities to suck news from one server
(Reddit) and post them to another server suffice?
It's possibly more complex. Server to server NNTP is message-ID based.
I believe slrn (like rn and trn) uses article the number interface to
news. That said, it generates References: headers, so it has some
message-ID mechanism. Certainly using a real NNTP backend would remove
a lot of places where newsreader quirks could interfere.

Elijah
------
IHAVE <new-reddit-comment>
Grant Taylor
2021-02-25 17:04:50 UTC
Post by Eli the Bearded
It's possibly more complex. Server to server NNTP is message-ID based.
I completely agree.

I was referring to server to client to server, not server to server.
Where the client is actually using NNRP between the two servers; read on
one and post to the other. At least that's my understanding of how
things like suck work.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't remember the last time I used suck.

As I type this, I've actually had INN do a /pull/ from another news
server more recently than I've used suck. So, maybe that's an idea too.
Have INN do a /pull/ from Tavis's reddit NNTP gateway.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Russell
2021-02-26 03:01:02 UTC
Post by Manifest0
Post by Tavis Ormandy
I spent this weekend trying to get a reddit nntp gateway working
Cool project :-)
Although i would prefer having the reddit posts posted to a news server,
than just having a nntp client interface.
I know it's not the same thing, but I you just want Reddit at the
terminal, rtv is a really cool way to do it. Using the --enable-media
switch, you can even use your .mailcap to view images and videos if
you're using it in X.
--
rust